Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  SOI not getting all CIs on service import

Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:14 AM

Hello all. When I import a service from a SOI connector, not all CIs are imported the first time. Sometimes the Service is imported with no CIs and I need to run the import two/three times in order to get all the CIs. What could be the cause of this behaviour? I've seen it happen in more than one installation. Some bad configuration? I believe it's something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  Re: SOI not getting all CIs on service import

Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:23 AM

Which Connector do you use?

When importing a Service, only relationships are added.  All CIs are already added to SOI when the connector is started.

Sometimes it takes while until all are shown in the Services Tree - refresh of the Navigation pane is also faster as the Contents pane.  How long do you wait before you import again?

How large are the Services you import?  And how many levels do they have?

Is the Connector very busy with processing Alerts while you import a Service?

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: SOI not getting all CIs on service import

Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:30 AM

Hey Michael, you're always super quick to answer! At the moment it has happened using cmdb and Spectrum connectors (Those are the two I use the most). I know CIs are imported automatically from the connector, so I would believe it's having trouble getting the relations. I have waited for several minutes before trying again. I've seen in happen with small services with no more than three levels. In the case of the CMDB connector, it's not importing many alerts, but could be the case with the Spectrum one. I'm going to try importing a service and leave it for an hour or so to see if eventually get's populated to rule out the refresh time.

Thanks a lot.

• 4.  Re: SOI not getting all CIs on service import

Posted Mar 17, 2017 10:38 AM

If you still encounter the problem after leaving the import running for a while (1 hour is far too much, latest after 5-10 minutes all should be there, even for a complex Service), please open a support issue.

Then we have to look deeper into a problem why the connector is not fetching all Relationships.

Which SOI Version and which Connector Versions do you use?

Do you see any other areas of "slow" behavior for the connectors - which might point to a general performance problem?

MichaelBoehm

• 5.  Re: SOI not getting all CIs on service import
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 17, 2017 02:00 PM

Micahel; I sat down with the user for some minutes and found out it were two things that got tangled up:

Firstly, services imported from Spectrum connector indeed were taking some time to show relations, probably because of the ammount of alerts it's also managing.

In the case of services coming from cmdb, what was happening is that some CIs were missing some correlatable properties in CMDB, so the connector was not importing them. Once they completed the fields in cmdb, they had to rediscover the service for the CIs to be created, but this would be completely normal due to the CIs failing to be imported the first time.

Thanks again for your help!