Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  How to create actions on impact or root cause alarms

Posted Apr 26, 2016 04:49 AM

Hi,

actually we try to optimize the incident process. We are now more focussing on creating tickets on services alarms.

To create tickets or other actions we use the escalation actions. There seems no way to create an action like acknowledge on all related impact and/or root cause alarms.

Any ideas to automate that.

best regards

Uwe

• 2.  Re: How to create actions on impact or root cause alarms
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 29, 2016 09:35 AM

Hi Uwe,

I dont know if I understand your question properly:

Do you want to define one Escalation Policy on the Service Alarm, which then acknowledges all underlying impact/root cause alarms?

This is not possible out of the box.

Escalation policies only work on the Alarm that is trigggering them.

The above scenario would require a search in the DB to find all Alarms that belong to this Service Alarm and acknowledge them individually.

Even when using a script in the Escalation Policy that is doing this, there are many different scenarios to consider.

For example: This has to be refreshed all the time, because the Service Alarm might still be the same, whilst the root cause has changed.

I would like to get a better understanding of your processes regarding tickets for Service Alarms:

How do you handle the situation that a single device is modeled in two Services and thus causes two Service Alarms when it has a problem.

Do you create two tickets, or how do you match these?

Whom is the ticket assigned to in the ticket system - do you have matching Services and Ticketing groups?

Which CI is used in the ticketing system to be handled as the "faulty" one - do you have Service objects?

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: How to create actions on impact or root cause alarms

Posted May 12, 2016 11:02 AM

hi UweWaechter   I noticed MichaelBoehm asked you some follow up questions.  Just want to make sure we get you the help you need. Keep us posted ! 

• 4.  Re: How to create actions on impact or root cause alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 01:53 PM

Hi Uwe,

This thread seems to be inactive pending the followup information from Michael Boehm since May. At this time we are closing the thread assuming you received some offline help and/or this no longer needs help. If you continue to need help on this topic, please feel free to start a new thread.