Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a way to identify why model correlation fails?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 01:41 AM

I am building services that will end up pulling information from various systems.  Today it should link up with our Spectrum connectors.  When we created the service models and added in devices to those service models, we did set several attributes, which should mimic what Spectrum has for those devices.  However, the Spectrum alarms are not showing up on our models.  USM also doesn't show the models as correlated with each other.  So I was wondering if these are any tricks to getting this working or if there is anything that we can check to identify why the correlation is not taking place?  Any log files?  Any tools for testing the correlations?  Suggestions on what to look at.

For example, I did check and see that for switches the order of testing is:

SysName, PrimaryDnsName, BiosSystemID, AssetNumber, PhysSerialNumber, PrimaryIPV6AddressWithDomain, PrimaryIPV4AddressWithDomain, PrimaryIPV6Address, PrimaryIPV4Address, PrimaryMacAddress. 

The device CI's that we created do have SysName and also PrimaryDnsName in common with the Spectrum model.

I have noticed that if I go into USM Web View and manually correlate the models together, it does work.  I just don't understand why it is not automatically correlating the CI's together.

Suggestions?

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to identify why model correlation fails?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 02:44 AM

Hi Bill,

you have already checked the most important part for correlation - the priority list.

There is one additional attribute which is often causing problems for correlation: InstanceName.

This attribute is always considered during correlation in addition to the priority list, e.g. even if all the attributes of the priority match but the InstanceName is different, the CIs will not correlate.

Can you check on that property, because some connectors add an InstanceName, whilst others don't do this.

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to identify why model correlation fails?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 10:04 AM

Thank you once again.  That was what the problem was.  Spectrum does not put an InstanceName in the CIs.  When I created my CI's through the Universal Connector, I did create an InstanceName.  Once I reworked my processing so that I didn't update that parameter, my CI's started correlating with the Spectrum CI's.

I'm in good shape now.  Thank you Michael.