Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems

Posted Jun 28, 2016 05:10 AM

Hello,

one of our customers would like to know, if there exists a best practice documentation for locations of connector systems?

To be more precisely our customer would like to know, if a connector system should be rather located near the SOI Manager or near the corresponding Domain Manager (e.g. Spectrum)?

I was not able to find any hints within the documentation nor within the community.

So I would really appreciate it, if someone can provide a hint to this.

An official statement from CA or a document describing this would also be useful.

Thanks,

René

• 2.  Re: Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2016 09:38 AM

Hello Rene,

I think the answer depends on the quality and performance of the network connection between the Spectrum Connector itself and the Spectrum Server. The Spectrum Connector sends out a heartbeat poll to the Spectrum Server which is based on the Corba API. If the reply to this heartbeat does not reach the connector in time, it creates a heartbeat missed message and the connector start to reinitialize. For this scenario it is best practice to have the Spectrum Connector close to the Spectrum Server to avoid any heartbeat missed occurances due to latency of network connection.

We have a discussion internally for appropriate documentation enhancement.

Kind regards,

Britta

• 3.  Re: Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2016 04:16 AM

Hello Rene, I have feedback that the following will be added to the best practice section of the Spectrum Connector Guide:

Spectrum IM connector uses CORBA API to communicate and retrieve data from CA Spectrum servers.

You must make sure that there is minimal network latency between the connector and Spectrum server. Poor network performance or high network latency can cause missing heartbeats and re-initialization of connector.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Britta

• 4.  Re: Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems

Posted Jun 30, 2016 04:42 AM

Hello Britta,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

I will inform our customer about the update in the best practice section of the Spectrum Connector Guide. I think, this is what our customer was looking for.

Regards,

René

• 5.  Re: Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2016 05:22 AM

Hello René,

this is the link to the updated documentation for this request.

https://docops.ca.com/soi-connectors/ca-spectrum-connector-2-0/ca-spectrum-connector-best-practices

Kind regards,

Britta

• 6.  Re: Best Practice for locations of Connector Systems

Posted Jul 01, 2016 07:29 AM

Hi Britta,

thanks for the link.

Regards,

René