Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Do you know if there is a canned adapter for pulling data from an AIX HMC?

Posted Oct 27, 2015 05:32 PM

I am trying to get utilization data imported easily into CA and didn't know if there was anything "canned" to pull this in from and HMC into CA Capacity Manager Tools.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  Re: Do you know if there is a canned adapter for pulling data from an AIX HMC?

Posted Oct 27, 2015 07:54 PM

Sorry, but no.

There is not an out-of-the-box Data Adapter for pulling from the IBM HMC.

There is support for the Tivoli AIX Premium agent and via NMON files.

>KIP

Kip Lamb

Sr Principal Consultant, Presales

CA Technologies | 13810 South East Eastgate Way Suite 500 | Bellevue, WA 98005

Office: +1 512 776 0235 | Mobile: +1 425 591 4358 | Kip.Lamb@ca.com

<mailto:Kip.Lamb@ca.com>[cid:image001.jpg@01D110D8.0DAF2EE0][cid:image002.png@01D0928A.5E056B60]

<http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx>

<http://www.ca.com/us/default.aspx>

• 3.  Re: Do you know if there is a canned adapter for pulling data from an AIX HMC?

Posted Oct 28, 2015 12:55 PM

As Kip stated, we do not currently have a data adapter that can pull information from the HMC.

What does this mean?

• We cannot “configure” our software to directly connect to the HMC.
    • Instead of our software pulling data from the HMC, we would need to find a way to get the HMC data pushed to us.

I did a little homework and came up with the following ideas.

Food for thought:

1. HMC - It looks like there is a command-line interface into the HMC.  If someone was interested, I’m sure they could write a script to (a) extract data from each individual HMC and (b) get it into a format that we could read.  We would view this as Generic CSV input.
    2. LPAR2RRD – There is a widely used free tool called LPAR2RDD that pulls in data from one or more HMCs.  The data is stored in a set of flat files (using RRDTool, not a database).  I’m guessing a similar approach could be used for LPAR2RRD: let LPAR2RRD collect data from multiple HMCs and then write some type of script that extracts the required data from LPAR2RDD’s “database” and format for CA Capacity Management input.