Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Do pending alerts mess up the Queues - Cleared Alert History?

Posted Apr 07, 2015 05:51 PM

So wondering if someone can confirm something I was wondering about regarding the Pending Clear feature.

I have a "Systems Queue" defined which is all alerts associated to our Nimsoft\UIM connector, and the attribute "Pending Clear" = NO. If an Alert enters the System Queue, then clears and then gets moved to the Pending Queue, will that alert now be included in the System Queues - Cleared Alert History?

I was thinking of setting up this feature but need to understand all the ways it behaves. Does anyone know off hand? If an alert's attributes change such that it doesn't match that queues criteria, and pops up in another queue, does that alert then get added to that alert's "Cleared Alert" history table?

Thanks,

Dan

• 2.  Re: Do pending alerts mess up the Queues - Cleared Alert History?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2015 07:42 PM

Hi Dan,

regarding to your first question, it doesn't. Pending clear alerts, as far as I know, are alerts in a pseudo-active state but marked to clear. That means all actions available for active alerts are also available for these ones (take action, email, open ticket, etc). The different is these alerts do not impact as they are flagged as exempted.

Your system-queue filters still apply to these alerts.

In summary, when an alert is market as "Pending Clear" it is not really cleared, but in a trasient mode. Therefore, it is not listed in the cleared history table unless a second clear action occurs.

Hope this helps

Regards

• 3.  Re: Do pending alerts mess up the Queues - Cleared Alert History?

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:59 AM

Hi Dan,

What Jose said is exactly what it is.

In addition, you can configure to reopen 'Pending clear' alert if their is alert update with some configurations as below.

https://wiki.ca.com/display/SOI33/Enable+Pending+Clear+State+for+Alerts

Thanks,

Ashay

• 4.  Re: Do pending alerts mess up the Queues - Cleared Alert History?

Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies but that wasn't what I was asking.

Let me explain more.

My System Queue is defined by:  If the alert ( [Source = 00050] & [PendingClear = No] ) then include it in the System Queue.

So example a CDM low disk alert comes into the SysQueue. Its in the queue.

Then the CDM disk alert is then fixed and UIM sends SOI the  clear alert. That propagates over to SOI and now the state changes to Pending = Yes.

So the cdm alert is removed from the System Queue and goes into my "Pending Queue" which is basically a bucket for all [PendingClear=Yes] alerts.

Does that CDM alert get added to the "Cleared Alert History" table on the Information Tab for the "System Queue"? 

Then when someone "Clears" it a 2nd time from w/in the "Pending Queue" does it get added to the PendingQueue's Cleared Alert History table?

• 5.  Re: Do pending alerts mess up the Queues - Cleared Alert History?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2015 11:53 AM

Hi Dan,

If the alert is clear second time when it is in "Pending Clear" alert queue,  my understanding is it should be listed in the Clear History List of that queue.

Pending Alert mechanism was designed to have a single repository for "cleared" alerts instead of having to search on each clear history table. Even, having the chance to look at alert details, run actions, etc.

Regards