Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  What does placeholder#### mean?

Posted Jan 11, 2016 11:32 AM

Question: What does placeholder mean when an alert comes into SOI? I got an alert and the name column is UNKNOW and when I look at the alerts USM Properties it has Placeholder44124 as the Identifying Name.

Class type is of Entity.

I thought after some time that SOI would finally get the name of this CI and associate it to this alert but no.

I checked the USM CI View page and the machine that this alert is coming from is in SOI's DB and classified correctly.

• 2.  Re: What does placeholder#### mean?

Posted Jan 11, 2016 06:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Even I am getting the same issue upon upgrading UIM connector for UIM Version 8.31. Since then facing a lot of issues which is really hampering our operations. I get the CI names as unknown and the Catalyst Queue in UIM is in a disconnected state post upgrading.

Thanks,

Ananda Guberan K

• 3.  Re: What does placeholder#### mean?

Posted Jan 12, 2016 03:56 AM

Hi,

a placeholder "Entity - unknown" is generated when an Alert is received for a non-existing CI.

This can happen during startup of a new connector, because Alerts a processed first - the CIs are coming in parallel and will resolve step by step.

The SNMP Connector has a problem with this though due to using cached information - CIs should always be generated first or as part of the Alert creation process.

The problem can also happen if there is a missmatch in the naming of the CIs, e.g. the triple MdrProduct, MdrProductInstance, MdrElementId identifying a CI does not match the given triple in an Alert.  This is mainly due to policy errors or changes in the environment that are not reflected properly (removing and restarting a connector after major changes).

Which version of the UIM connector do you use?

You should open a Support Issue to get this clarified.

MichaelBoehm

• 4.  Re: What does placeholder#### mean?

Posted Jan 12, 2016 04:58 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

That is correct. I have an existing case open with CA and working on them. Also, the version of the UIM Connector is 3.0.71

Thanks,

Ananda Guberan K