Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration

Posted Sep 24, 2019 06:54 PM
    Hello,

I am new to Rally and wanted to understand how the Rally/BitBucket Cloud integration works.  I found the documentation (https://docs.ca.com/en-us/ca-agile-central/saas/ca-agile-central-connector-bitbucket) but am not understanding why you need to install python, jenkins, etc. on your local machine to get this to work unless I am completely missing something.  If not, any more details steps and explanation would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 2.  RE: Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2019 10:36 PM
    Hi Matt,

The integration uses a piece of middleware which is written in python.  Most people will run this using a scheduled job and the connector uses APIs on each platform to perform the data exchange.

As for Jenkins, it's not a required piece for BitBucket integration, however it dovetails very nicely into the whole defect management, version control, build system triad when you use our Jenkins connector. 

There's a video on Youtube that gives a great overview of how the system works.  It uses GitHub as the version control, and it's a bit dated as far as the Rally interface is concerned but the meat of it is very much relevant today.  You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsNtcPngsEg

• 3.  RE: Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration

Posted Sep 25, 2019 08:55 AM
    Thanks so much for the clarification.

Does each developer need to have this connector on the machine?

Also, can you do a similar integration replacing Jenkins with Bamboo?

Thanks,
    Matt

• 4.  RE: Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 09:22 AM
    Hi Matt,

Most customers will install this on a server that will see minimal disruptions.  It's recommended to work with your sub-admins to have an account set up that includes access to all of the projects that your team needs to integrate with.

The same build connector that is used for Jenkins can also be used for Bamboo

• 5.  RE: Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration

Posted Sep 25, 2019 09:37 AM
    I think I am getting it now.

So this is just a background service that runs and connects into the BitBucket cloud server and pushes changes to Rally.  It can be on a local computer or a server depending on the preference.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 6.  RE: Rally/Bitbucket Cloud integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 09:52 AM
    That's exactly right!