Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Accidently moving stories in ranked views

Posted Dec 03, 2019 09:55 AM
    I may be the only person who has this problem, as it is clearly a user issue, but one which I would like assistance with. Sometimes I accidentally move a story or defect, thus reordering the objects in a sprint or the backlog. This occurs by careless mouse moves, often when I'm trying to scroll through a page, such as the Iteration Status or the product Backlog. When it happens, I know it immediately, but I can't do anything about it, because I don't know where the story was in the priority prior to it being moved.

What I would love is an undo to move the story that I unintentionally move. I don't need more than a single undo (last action sort of thing). Alternatively, if the revision history could give more details, right now it just has Rank moved up and rank moved down, but not to what number (e.g., Rank moved up to position 4 would be more helpful).

Again, if I am the only one who is having this problem because of my own careless, I understand that a solution will not be forthcoming, but I wanted to present the situation to the group, in case others experience it as well.

regards,​

------------------------------
    Karen Gwynn

• 2.  RE: Accidently moving stories in ranked views
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 10:51 AM
    Hi Karen,

I have found that random mouse clicks is far more common on my new Mac - the touchpad is hyper sensitive, too large and in the wrong place. So, I truly understand the issue.

To implement and undo feature is quite a tricky one in this case. The main reason being is that the DragAndDropRank field is not a number but an encoded hash field. I am not quite sure how the hash gets generated but the API only allows you to do things like: "Put this one above another one", "Put this one below another one", "Put this first" rather than "Make this one #3" 

In terms of useability an "OMG, go back!" button would be useful, but it hasn't come up that many times to warrant engineering time..... yet....​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Accidently moving stories in ranked views

Posted Dec 03, 2019 12:42 PM
    Nik,

thanks for the response. I wasn't sure how the info about the relative position was stored, so was unclear if the undo would be possible. Or, as I said, even putting the details in the version history so I could move it back would at least be a step in the right direction.