Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Performance Imapct using Drop Down list

Posted Nov 28, 2019 02:42 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if i use multiple custom fields of "Drop down list (user)" in Portfolio item, what will be its impact on performance of Agile Central (Rally).

How do you measure the performance of product before and after the changes ?

Drop Down for User list

Thank you for your suggestion.

------------------------------
    Avinash Bais

• 2.  RE: Performance Imapct using Drop Down list
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2019 04:58 AM
    Hi Avinash, the question you have asked is a little hard to answer.

In general, the number or type of fields that you have defined in a workspace does not affect the overall performance unless you are continually accessing that data. In the case of drop-down lists, they are normally populated on request, i.e. if you don't open them, then they don't do the database fetch for the possible entries. To see what I mean, you could turn on the Developer tools in your browser and watch the network accesses. If you do this adn then open a view (such as Portfolio Items), the fetches for the items occurs as the page loads. If you then go to the owner field and click the drop-down field to change it, you will then see a short delay while the list of possible entries is fetched.

Rally was designed to only fetch the data that is needed when it is needed.

In terms of how to measure it..... well, I'm stumped on how to give you a good answer on that one.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software