CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator

Posted Jan 22, 2020 11:52 AM
    SDM 17.1.02 on Windows integrated with PAM 4.3.03

We have tickets created via maileater which have details in the body that are added to the SDM Description field.  The ticket category has classic workflow (WF) tasks.  The first task calls a PAM macro which parses details from the Description and takes actions based on the findings. This executes on the WF Pending status.  Once the PAM tasks are completed, we want to update the status of the calling WF task to Complete so it will continue to the next task.

I am able to update the status using the 'updateObject' SOAP method.  This shows in the database but not in the web UI - even after refreshing the ticket and the task detail page.  This shows as Pending on the detail page until I select Edit.  It then immediately shows the status as Complete.  If I Cancel the edit it then shows as Complete in the task detail page and also in the workflow tab on the ticket, but the next task remains in Wait.

Am I missing a step or is there a better method to update a WF task from PAM?  Note the customer does not want to convert the remaining WF tasks on the category to PAM as they are well established.

TIA,

J.W.

------------------------------
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - TAoBB:AtED

• 2.  RE: SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 03:19 PM
    JW, maybe a Support case help? I used to see guys use updateObject() to update the wf task status without issue. There are a couple of things come to mind...stdlog, web page customization, SDM WS integration point(BG/App) etc. Thanks _Chi

• 3.  RE: SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator

Posted Jan 23, 2020 03:55 PM
    Edited by J W Jan 23, 2020 04:09 PM
    Thanks, Chi.

I forgot to mention that I have been monitoring stdlog with no errors or performance related messages.  I would try doing a pdm_cache_refresh on the Call_Req and/or Request_Workflow_Task tables ( @Kyle R )  to see if it was a cache issue but this is Production and so I would need to wait until off-hours to try as this would cause performance issues. 

This WS integration point is a separate APP server.  I am updating fields on the request where the WF resides as part of the process (separate operator) and there are no display issues on the ticket.  So, I don't know why that would not have an issue but the WF task status would - since they are both going to the same WS server.  The fact that when I edit the WF task detail page in the UI causes it to refresh the value from the database makes me think it is cache issue.

I might consider opening a Support case with Service Management since this is can be duplicated from soapUI as a straight WS call and not directly related to PAM. 

​​​​J.W.

• 4.  RE: SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 04:08 PM
    JW, I think the real issue is not the display but the next task stays in WAIT, which stops the proceeding of the whole workflow. If nothing else, I think you can do something in the script to make sure the next task is PEND, not wait(for example, do a doSelect(), then if...then with another updateObject() to make the next task PEND if necessary). Thanks _Chi

• 5.  RE: SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator

Posted Jan 23, 2020 04:12 PM
    Thanks, that is something to consider and would not hurt to test.  At the very least, if the status on the next task will also not update, then it is another data point for troubleshooting.

J.W.

• 6.  RE: SDM - Update Classic Workflow from SOAP / PAM operator
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 24, 2020 08:31 AM
    Chi,

Thanks for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, these are Production so I can't make changes or run pdm_cache_refresh without impacting performance.

After 3 days of issues, it suddenly disappeared.  Frustrating, but does point to a cache/sync issues.  I will raise this up with the management for follow up and see those suggestions are worth a change order.

I'll marked this answered on both Communities.

J.W.