CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Add Service Type on active workflow

Posted Jun 06, 2018 11:45 PM

Hi, 

Can we add Service Type to active workflow?

Please refer following screen capture.

On the workflow detail interface, I'm able to see the Service Type field.

When I edit the workflow, the Service Type field will be hidden from the interface.

• 2.  Re: Add Service Type on active workflow

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 05:10 PM

Mohd, please open a Support case for this. Certainly this field is not editable. However, the way SDM presents the service type in both the service type tab and field makes users think they are editable...this is especially true for the service type field under the service type tab. Both should not be editable but the one under service type tab handles as if you can change it. Thanks _Chi

• 3.  Re: Add Service Type on active workflow

Posted Jun 08, 2018 12:51 AM

Thanks Chi.

I've taken the CA Support issue and provided this additional information. 

I'll continue working with Mohd in the meantime.

---------------

In CA Service Desk Manager, you don't manually add Service Types to the Workflow Task Details.

Instead, you add Service Types to Workflows via Events.

What you are seeing in the Workflow is a consequence of the development of the product over a long time.

Originally, it was only possible to add ONE Service Type to a ticket or Workflow.

Later on, the product was expanded so that you could have Service Types attached to multiple conditions. So there could be a different Service Type based off the Priority, another on Category and so on.

The original method of handling Service Types with its single ranking was called "Classic SLA Processing."

- - -
    classic_sla_processing

Enables the "classic" model of service types and SLA's. This model uses the Rank value for Service Types to determine the correct Type for a ticket. Only one Service Type can be applied to a ticket.

Note: The Chg SLA Option, CR SLA Option, and Iss SLA Option are available if the Classic SLA Processing Option is installed.
    - - -

It wasn't disbanded when the new Multi-Service Type approach was added. Instead, it was left in via an option classic_sla_processing both so that old sites could continue to function, and so that sites could choose their method of SLA processing - not every site needs multi-type Service Types.

But that means that the screens have to be capable of both displaying the single type Service Type and the multi-type form.

Which has left us with the Workflow Detail screen that we see today.

If you are using a single source Service Type, then it will populate through to the top field - in much the same way that the Change Order number is pulled from the Change Order, even though it is not "part" of the Workflow.

And if you are using multi Service Types, then they appear at the bottom of the screen.

So this is not a bug. You are not meant to be able to edit this field - instead, it would be populated by a Service Type. And it has been so long, I'm not even sure how to do it to be honest, as nearly everyone uses the multi-Service Types now.

My recommendation would be to ignore this field. If you feel that it should be tidied up and made inaccessible, or otherwise change the display behaviour, please raise an "Idea" on CA Communities, where it can be voted on as an enhancement change.

I hope that all makes sense.

For a reasonable old document which runs through a setup:

Title: How to prevent the Workflow Task Service Type to be in status "Not Active" on a Change Order
    External URL: https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/How-to-prevent-the-Workflow-Task-Service-Type-to-be-in-status-Not-Active-on-a-Change-Order/KB000017400

For the current documentation on Service Types, see here:
    Manage Service Type and Service Type Events
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/17-1/en/administering/administering-ca-service-desk-manager/manage-service-type-and-service-type-events

---------------

If anyone else has something to chip in, please do so. In particular from sites who run with the Workflow Detail "Service Type" populated.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: Add Service Type on active workflow

Posted Jun 10, 2018 10:14 PM

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your explanations.

How to add the Service Types to Workflows via Events.?

Actually, the purpose to add Service Type to the workflow is because I want to notify the workflow assignee.

Like an example, if the workflow is still "Pending" for 1 hour, one notification will be sent to the assignee and if the workflow still "Pending" for 4 hours another notification will be sent again.

This can be done if I already add the Service Type during Change Order workflow configuration.

The problem is when the user inserts add-hoc workflow to the ticket. and they want the same reminder notification to be sent to the assignee.

• 5.  Re: Add Service Type on active workflow
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2018 04:56 AM

You need to create the multiple notification macros that will define behavior you need (notify user that task is in pending for an hour). Then you create event that will have a delay time 1 hour, and on condition TRUE trigger the notification macro. This event should have a allow time resetting set to true.

When you have this ready you should create Attach event macro that attach previously created macro to the workflow task you want to set timer on.

Then go to the task and on behavior of Pending status set the Attach event macro as the action on TRUE.

or other approach would be to(instead of last step) set this event on Activity attach workflow task with the appropriate condition that would identify task you want to attach the service events .

This should do the job you described  

• 6.  Re: Add Service Type on active workflow

Posted Jun 12, 2018 08:55 PM

Hello Mohd,

Did Aleksandar's response help?

Setting up a Workflow Task with Events is actually one of the more complex "Classic Workflow" configurations to do, so don't be put off by needing to experiment.

I suggest you start with an understanding of a regular Event attached to a Service Type against a ticket.

Understand how Macros, Events and Service Types hang together, then have a go stepping through the above advice.

Any questions, then just post down the the steps you've done here, what's happening and where you're stuck - probably best to a new thread to get the visibility, and because you'll be at a different point in the process probably.

The Community here for SDM is very knowledgeable, and has seen most things before.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

UPDATE

I've used the above information to create a new Knowledge Document here.

How to add Service Type to an Active Workflow? - CA Knowledge 

If anyone wants to take a red pen to it or otherwise suggest improvements, I'm happy to edit them in.