CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Version Upgarde with Conventinal to AA

Posted Jun 22, 2018 07:07 AM

Hello,

We have a CA Service Desk version 14.1 installed and we would like to upgrade to 17.1. At the same time we would like to switch from conventional configuration to AA configuration. 

Since we have some customizations on the system we would like to use Swing Box Method and we will follow the following document. But i am not sure how to upgrade to AA at the same time. Do you have any suggestions?

Use the Swing Box Method to Upgrade to CA SDM 17.1 - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards,

Barış

• 2.  Re: Version Upgarde with Conventinal to AA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 08:47 AM

Baris, take a look at

Changing the Server Configuration from Conventional to Advanced Availability - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technol… 

that is, follow swing box way to go to conventional first and then follow steps here to convert to AA. Thanks _Chi

• 3.  Re: Version Upgarde with Conventinal to AA

Posted Jun 22, 2018 08:57 AM

Hi Chi Chen,

Thanks for the reply
    I have seen that document. However, since i am planing to do those 2 operations at the same time, i am confused about how should i proceed.

Regards,

Barış

• 4.  Re: Version Upgarde with Conventinal to AA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2018 09:23 AM

Hi Baris -

When you're making any changes to the environment, whether that's a version upgrade, changing the configuration of the servers, or even just making form changes, it's always recommended to change as few elements at a time as possible. If something goes wrong during your migration/upgrade/reconfigure procedure, it will be harder to determine exactly what happened, and it will be much more work if you need to roll back or start over. Chi's recommendation of doing the Swing Box version upgrade first then reconfiguring to Advanced Availability means that you will have a good stopping point in between the operations - this is a good place to take backups and/or snapshots, in case it's necessary to roll back. While I'm sure it's technically possible to combine the Swing Box and configuration change processes, it's not something I would recommend doing - there's too many moving parts, so to speak, and it's generally better to take your time and make sure each part of the upgrade is done completely before moving on to other operations.