CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Posted Apr 17, 2018 08:37 AM

Hello all,

Please I need a command to know the number of concurrent analysts log in to CA Service Desk at a given time.

I know the "pdm_webstat" command which will show the number of all users connected concurrently, but is there a way I can segment for "analysts"???

Prompt responses would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Amosu.

• 2.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 09:06 AM

There are several things you can try:

- Run "pdm_webstat -D" to get specific usernames, which you could then use to identify analyst access

- Each time a user logs into ServiceDesk, the stdlogs will record an entry such as:

stdlog.5:12/11 16:09:31.67 SERVER1  web:local            5424 SIGNIFICANT  session.c            10956 Session 1743419742:0x043D1D08 login by analyst ServiceDesk (cnt:974595C7C1AB484AAB0769198491CCC8); session count 1

You can filter the logs to denote what analysts have been logging in.

Can we confirm what this will be used for?  Are you trying to audit analyst logins for licensing?

• 3.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Posted Apr 17, 2018 09:15 AM

Here's my 2 cents...

As far as I know, ''pdm_webstat -D' will give you a list of ALL the users connected to a webengine, but you CANNOT distinguish whether the logged in users are Analysts or not from the pdm_webstat output

Trying to track this with stdlogs is also a mission as the logs could potentially be overridden if there is some odd error flooding the logs. Thus the stdlog method CANNOT be relied on.

We have since implemented a report which can give you this information:

License Usage - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 4.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 09:50 AM

My 2cents...

Use the license count is a good way but keep in mind that the values are not real time...by default, there could be

1 hour delay.

To get real time count, I am still thinking reading the stdlog files. Yes, there is a script to write and schedule, but the

message in the log file like

Session 114727195:0x046596B8 login by analyst Administrator (cnt:B20C8B9C1AB3DE468936F480404AF0C4); session count 1

does give real time count for analyst session count.

• 5.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Posted Apr 17, 2018 10:22 AM

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your prompt response as well.

Reading the stdlog would consume time and still might not give detailed report as we need to manually extract this information which we feel would nto meet our expectation.

It would be kind of you to share the script to schedule this and give us real time count as proposed by you.

I really appreciate every prompt responses over here and waiting to have more insight.

Warm Regards,

Amosu

• 6.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Posted Apr 17, 2018 09:34 AM

Hello David,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Yes we want to audit analyst logins for licensing purpose.

Warm Regards,

Amosu

• 7.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 10:56 AM

Hi Amosu,

May be this might be some help to get your requirement

===========================================================================================

How to gather concurrent license usage statistics for CA Service Desk Manager

Prior to SDM 12.7, gathering usage statistics required use of pdm_webstat on multiple servers and then combining the results together.  This was tedious and error-prone.

Starting with SDM 12.7, the product includes a predefined KPI that accurately captures the number of concurrent users at a set frequency which is defaulted to each hour.

To turn on the Concurrent User count KPI:
    1.1. Login using a UserID with Administrator privileges
    2.2. Select the Administrator Tab
    3.3. Navigate to the Service Desk->KPIs list and find the KPI named “webConcurrentTotalLicenseCt”
    4.4. Open the webConcurrentTotalLicenseCt KPI
    5.5. Activate the KPI if it is not currently Activated – Note that the sample frequency may be adjusted – Minimum of once hourly is recommended

There is an OOTB report that can be used to get the results of a KPI named “Service Desk SQL and Stored Query KPI Values”.

The values from the report gives a good indication of the usage. My recommendation is to view it as a simple line chart with DTStamp and the KPI value that will show normal usage peaks and valleys. This result can be used to see typical usage level for the given period.

Note that the licensing for a given customer should be based on the normal usage level, occasional peaks above the normal level (during shift turnover) and valleys (weekends) are expected. For this reason, you cannot use an average of the KPI values to determine the typical usage.

===========================================================================================

• 8.  Re: how to get number of analysts log in to service desk

Posted Apr 18, 2018 03:36 AM

Hi Amosu,

Please read my initial response again. You will realize I provided all the info you need.

To substantiate what maheshwar.kusuma said, please review the below Knowledge Base article:

How to find the number of web engine licenses coun - CA Knowledge 

===

Kind Regards,

Brian