CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Field in schema but not in form

Posted May 29, 2018 02:39 PM

Hi,

I needed to create a field for "Department" for Configuration Item records. When I was about to create a new field for it in WSP, I've saw that there's already a SREL column called "department" in "nr" table. I searched for it in Configuration Item form, but I was not able to find it. Even contacting a CA analyst through support chat, we couldn't find.

So, anyone knows why this field exists in schema, but doesn't exist in form?

Thanks,

Diogo

• 2.  Re: Field in schema but not in form

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2018 03:09 PM

Diogo, I  would add my own dept if I were you. I checked this attribute in the reference guide it says "

Foreign key to the id field of the ca_resource_department table representing the department to which this asset belongs."

however, I don't see where SDM actually uses this attribute. Maybe open a Support case so Support can open a DE to see where/when this attribute is used? Thanks _Chi

• 3.  Re: Field in schema but not in form

Posted May 29, 2018 06:21 PM

Chen, according to the the description you provided, this field is exactly what I need. I see no problem using it, it's just add a lookup field in the form. The one million question is, why this is not apperarig in the HTMPL files (cmdb_detail.htmpl and related)? Well, I don't think I need to open a support case, since it's not a error or a malfunction. I'm asking it just out of curiosity, no need to worry.

Well, maybe this question will remain without a response for a long time...

Thanks,

Diogo

• 4.  Re: Field in schema but not in form

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 09:23 AM

Diogo, I am with you. However, I still not recommend using this field as you never know when SDM will use it...like next version may use it. Thanks _Chi

• 5.  Re: Field in schema but not in form

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 10:14 AM

Hi Diogo,
    It is better to have custom Z field with SREL to Department in CI. Leave the out of box department alone. As Chi recommendation in the previous reply, you never know when SDM will use it or how use it. You have control the custom field.
    Regards,
    Derek