CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 15, 2018 04:26 PM

Hello,

We need to add the Category field to the scratchPad in the Quick Profile tab. Any idea how we can achive this? Does anyone have an example how to do it?

We tried to "copy" the way how the field "template" works, but unfortunately we are not able to build the javascript function to open the problem category page instead of open the call req.

Thank you in advance.

Francisco

• 2.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 22, 2018 07:42 AM

Hi Francisco,

1. Since you tried this with no success, perhaps add the code you tried here? Hopefully we can see what you are doing wrong in your attempt.

2. Seeing you can use templates to create quick tickets in the Quick Profile, why not use that feature as that would cater for the category being filed from the template?

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 22, 2018 01:03 PM

Templates would be the way to go, no question about it given the current product architectures.  

That said, I think that templates are extremely limited in their functionality.  As an analyst, which is a role with high turnover, and never-ending need for minimizing ramp-up time; I need the ability to Add any "required" (custom or system) attribute of the cr object in order to generate an incident or request from the scratchpad.  Templates force me to search among hundreds of "scenario" titles in hopes of finding the correct one, the first time, when all that is really needed is the ability to pass additional attributes from the scratchpad.  In a high transaction support center, searching for templates is not an efficient solution.  

Suggestions on best practices for this specific scenario would be helpful as I'm currently helping out this team as well and I have started going down the rabbit hole of doing it all in JS. Since this would be browser side JS with JDBC connection direct to the db, that is not a secure solution and one I don't feel comfortable putting forward for obvious reasons.  Any thoughts?

• 4.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 22, 2018 04:06 PM

Hi Brian,

Maybe do a generic code to allow any attribute is complex here, but I think category can be added.

For use a category with scratchpad you need create a function to search on categories and you need create a function to use in a new button. ( Maybe template lookup can be dropped and button "new" too .)

For this new button, you can use popupWithURL and you need create a function to compose the URL with all parameters to set like OP=CREATE_NEW+FACTORY=cr+PRESET_REL=category:pcat.id:sym:app.batch

Regards,

Carlos

• 5.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 22, 2018 05:10 PM

Thanks for the insight Carlos.  I think the ask here, is a challenge to the dev team more so than the forum, unless the forum has developed an answer in the past.

In the interest of full disclosure, the desired scenario is to request the Analyst to select an nrf (likely via search as there are too may entries for a dropdown), and have that nrf, drive the grc selection, which ultimately displays list of potential CI’s that match based on said family and class.  Preferably on the scratchpad, with pulldowns.  Upon selecting the CI, there would be an lrel built that allowed the analyst to select valid categories to be used on the ticket.  The ticket type would then be driven by the category selected.

Any thoughts on that one?  

Thanks Again !

• 6.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 23, 2018 04:22 AM

Hi Brian.

Adding fields to the scratchpad, is not a simple game, at least to my expirience.
    You might need to overwrite/enhance several standard javascript functions, like:
    pb_select_template
    pb_clear_scratchpad
    pb_qtemplate
    pb_clear_pad_option
    ... and more.

That said, and I fully understand and agree to the business need of such an enhancement,
    things like that have a huge impact, not only for the current product installation, but as well for each upcoming patch/release, whatever.
    I'm not aware of any generic approach to achieve these kind of requirements.
    Unfortunately, the SDM UI framework does not support an easy to implement capability when it comes to the scratchpad.
    Nevertheless, I'm quite sure, it can be done.

Regards
    ...............Michael

• 7.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Jan 30, 2018 08:49 AM

Michael,

Actually customizing scratchpad is not easy, but after a lot of effort I was able to customize it in the detail_*** form pattern so that it was possible to use PDM_MACROS and consequently the use of any custom field or not.
    If CA is interested in knowing the source code for who knows, incorporate this into the native product, I will be at your disposal. Below is a video demonstrating the end result of customization.

• 8.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Feb 01, 2018 03:27 AM

Hi Daniel,

For the benefit of the community, you can still share your code and steps here. That's what the communities are about anyway...knowledge sharing ;-)

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 9.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Aug 31, 2018 09:49 AM

Hello Daniel,

You can share some of the codes you use for example, the links to the id tickets, add a second form in order to check or view incidents.

Thanks for the help you can share.

Regards

Carlos Ramirez

• 10.  Re: Customize ScratchPad add a category field

Posted Sep 04, 2018 05:12 PM

Ramirez,

This customization was only possible because the scratchpad.htmpl form was completely remodeled using the same structure as the detail_***.htmpl forms.
    And in addition, dozens of javascript functions used by scratchpad also had to be customized.
    So it would not help if I just sent you the line of added field code, because the change is much bigger than that.
    My form currently supports the statement below, but unfortunately the native scratchpad would not support without being custom.

<PDM_MACRO name = dtlLookup hdr = "Affected service (IC)" attr = "affected_service" factory = "nr" common_name_attr = "name" make_required = yes extraURL = "ADDITIONAL_WHERE = (NOT family.sym IN Application Server ',' Software.Program ',' Telecommunications.Circuit ',' Corporate Service ') AND (NOT class.type IN)

I can not share this customization because of its implementation complexity.
    Sorry.