CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

• 1.  What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Posted Aug 22, 2017 09:13 AM
      |   view attached

I am currently upgrading Service catalog and United Self Service to version 17 and when you specify that you wish to use the existing database it requires you to provide a path to a backup file.  I have looked in several documents, questions, and blog posts and I am still unable to determine what the file would look like or where it would be located.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I specifically provided a filepath to the database backup with the standard .BAK file extension and but was given the error message of "Invalid backup file specified"

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2017 10:56 AM

Richard,

Just to confirm, are you upgrading from 14.1 or were you using Openspace previously?

• 3.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Posted Aug 22, 2017 11:04 AM

Yes we are upgrading from 14.1 to 17.  I am not even sure what Openspace is to be honest as we haven't really opened our United Self Service and Service Catalog up for production use.

• 4.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Posted Aug 22, 2017 04:08 PM

While researching this issue my colleague came across the following document an I am a little confused by it: https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/17-0/en/implementing/implement-ca-service-management-17-0/upgrade-to-ca-service-management-17-0/upgrading-to-unified-self-service-17-0

It starts by saying:
    "CA Service Management 17.0 supports upgrade of Unified Self-Service (USS) from version 3.0 and 4.0."
    And then it has a note at the bottom stating:
    "Note: We currently support USS upgrade from 3.0 version only."

When I run the installer it shows I have version 14.1.0.183.  Do I have version 3 or 4?

Also, the document references backing up the existing LAR file to retain customization.  When I search for the .LAR file I find multiple files with names such as:
     OpenSpace-v3.0.lar
     OpenSpace-v4.0.lar
     Guest-v0.1.lar
     Frontoffice-v05.lar

Can you please provide a more specific example of the file name?

I have also opened a case with CA Support and will provide an update.

• 5.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 05:10 AM

Hi Richard,

The below document holds the additional information in regards to setting on 'Apply the Unified Self-Service Theme to the User Interface'

Link : https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/17-0/en/administering/configuring-unified-self-service/apply-the-unified-self-service-theme-to-the-user-interface

Note: Unified Self-Service (formerly CA Open Space) is a community-based communication tool, which lets you connect and share knowledge with the people in your organization

• 6.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 05:47 AM

HI Richard,

In addition to the above response, I have identified that the version are defined in a properties files at the location mentioned below -

<USS_HOME>Self Service\OSOP\portal-ext.properties

Search for below 'openspace_version' parameter and a version number is defined accordingly.

For Service Management 14.1,  openspace_version=4

For Service Management 17.0,  openspace_version=17

Hope the explanation is helpful to plan your upgrade.

• 7.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 05:20 AM

Good Morning Richard.

After you checked 'Use existing database', you need to browse in the above window.

And when you click on the 'arrow-down' (open the dropdown) in the 'Files of Type' field, you'll see '.car' in there.

Which appears to be the correct file-extension to be used for the backup file.

Thanks and kind regards, Louis.

• 8.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 05:47 AM

Good Morning Richard.

For this subject, I created a tecdoc.

TEC1752624 - Upgrade USS 14.1>17.0: Company Admin Name and Backup file name to set?

Thanks and kind regards, Louis.

• 9.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2017 05:45 AM

Good Morning Richard.

SM14-USS_SM17-USS_Upgrade_Details.docx got attached for a visual.

Kind regards, Louis.

• 10.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 09:55 AM

Good Day to you Richard.

When you are okay with the information as provided, I would like to encourgae you to mark this thread as answered and helpful?

Thanks in advance for you help on this and kind regards, Louis.

• 11.  Re: What is the file name(or location) for a USS MDB backup?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 25, 2017 05:45 PM

If you are doing an In-Place upgrade, you do not have to select the option "use existing database".   That basically makes the backup file requirement disappear.

_R