CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 08:59 AM

Hi guys, 

I have been struggling to configure heat and weather on ServiceDesk and XFlow. 

In the XFlow interface, according to documentation I should see a weather symbol to the left of the alert symbol. 

I have created a weather configuration in the admin UI

And a heat configuration as well (I made the group a group that I belong to, but not sure if this is correct?)

But how is this configured overall, how does XFlow pickup the weather configuration and heat configuration I just created?

In options manager, all of below were already installed with the exception of on_access_heat_calculation. 

I installed this and restarted ServiceDesk and Xflow Services.

I still don't see a weather icon and when I view a ticket in xflow, there is no heat value either. 

Just like when you define and create object managers/webengines in the UI and run a pdm_configure....how would XFlow pick up these configurations?  Is it automatic?

Or am I totally confused?

• 2.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 09:08 AM

Hi James,

When you run a pdm_status, do you see the following processes running:

Heat Weather (pdm_hw_nxd)

Method Engine HW (spelsrvr:hw)

OBject Manager HW (domsrvr:hw)

It looks like you have the options configured correctly, but maybe the daemons are not running.

Let us know,
    Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 09:20 AM

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't see any of those. 

What is the next step?

• 4.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 11, 2018 09:35 AM

So then most likely the pdm_startup file has them commented out.  We had done this for some folks who has performance problems that were found to be caused by the daemons running for heat and weather, generating data, but they didnt even have Xflow installed, so the data would build up in memory and eventually cause the systems to crawl.  Its possible that someone had given you the steps at one point to do that.

First, go to options manager > general, and make sure that the option "xflow_installed" is set to YES and is showing as Installed.  If not, then install it, and then recycle SDM services and that should start those processes up.   If it is installed, then go to your pdm_startup file and search for "domsrvr:hw" and make sure its not commented out - and do the same for spelsrvr:hw, and pdm_hw_nxd to make sure they are all set to run and are not commented out.

If you make any changes there, make sure you do the same in the pdm_startup.tpl, as well, and then recycle services.

Let us know!

Jon

• 5.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 12:29 PM

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for this. 

xflow_installed was not installed; I installed this and then recycled services. 

I then went to pdm_startup file (in root\pdmconf) but all those variables you mentioned appear to be uncommented. 

See snippet of code below in bold showing spelsrvr is not commented out. 

; Defining a dedicated domsrvr-spelsrvr pair for heat and weather daemon, when NX_HEAT_WEATHER!=off
    #ifdef NX_HEAT_WEATHER
    #if NX_XFLOW_INSTALLED==Yes && NX_HEAT_WEATHER!=off

DOMSRVR(hw_domsrvr,$NX_LOCAL_HOST,"domsrvr:hw",spelsrvr:hw,"domsrvr_hw","")
    display = "Object Mgr HW(domsrvr:hw)"
    after bpvirtdb_srvr connects + 3

SPELSRVR(hw_spel_srvr, $NX_LOCAL_HOST, spelsrvr:hw, "rpc_srvr:%h")
    display = "Method Engine HW (spelsrvr:hw)"

#endif
    #endif

However, I still do not see any of  below in pdm_status command. 

Object Manager HW (domsrvr:hw)

We have installed CA ServiceDesk 17, but have not yet installed search and collaboration server.  Could this perhaps be related to why we are struggling?

• 6.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 01:23 PM

Hi James,

Search and Collaboration should also be installed as they are deeply rooted in Xflow, BUT, its not totally mandatory.  Xflow and heat/weather should work without that.   Can you also check pdmstartup.i  - there is some heat and weather stuff in there too.  What you might want to also do is run pdm_configure - that may also kick it back on.

This is from my pdmstartup.i file:

; Macro name: PDM_HW_NXD
    ; Description: Starts the Heat and Weather Daemon (PDM_HW_NXD).
    #define PDM_HW_NXD(_TAG, _HOST, _SLUMP_NAME)
    [ _TAG ]
    host = "_HOST"
    command = "$NX_JRE_INSTALL_DIR/bin/java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false com.ca.ServicePlus.HeatWeather.HeatWeatherDaemon -r $NX_ROOT -l _SLUMP_NAME"
    slump_name = _SLUMP_NAME
    display = "Heat Weather (pdm_hw_nxd)"
    restart
    classpath = "$NX_ROOT/bin/HeatWeather.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/slump.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/sd-utils.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:$NX_ROOT/site/cfg:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/axis.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/commons-discovery.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/commons-logging.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/jaxrpc.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/saaj.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/wsdl4j.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/xercesImpl.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/xml-apis.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/bc-fips-1.0.0.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/commons-httpclient-3.0.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/concurrent.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/Safe.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/httpcore-4.2.4.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/httpclient-4.2.5.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/commons-codec-1.3.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/mail.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/activation.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/dom4j.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/jaxen-1.1.1.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/not-yet-commons-ssl-0.3.10.jar:$NX_ROOT/java/resources:$NX_ROOT/java/lib/json-simple-1.1.1.jar"
    redirect_stdio

Just to give you some ideas to look at.

Hope that helps,let me know!

Jon I.

• 7.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 11, 2018 02:06 PM

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for all the suggestions, however, I still see nothing in pdmstartup.i that indicates anything vital has been commented out, In fact the only hashtags I see in the pdmstartup.i file are #define. 

I also tried running a pdm_configure but I still see none of these when running pdm_status

Object Manager HW (domsrvr:hw)

• 8.  Re: Configuring weather and heat on XFlow

Posted Jan 19, 2018 05:31 AM

Hi Jon, 

I thought I only needed to install this, but forgot to change this option to yes. 

This is now working. 

Thanks for all your help!