CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Resources for Developers for APM/ITAM Web Services?

Posted Nov 22, 2016 06:40 AM

Hi,

We intend to create our own custom front end to APM/ITAM v12.9. The front-end will communicate with APM using the APM web services.  Planned functions in the custom front-end are for example:

• Create a new asset
    • Create a new model
    • Search for assets
    • Modify assets

We have found the web services documentation inside APM (Administration / Web Services / Web Services Documentation) and that looks good. Is there any other documentation for APM / APM web services you can recommend that is relevant for the developers of the custom front-end?

Best regards,

Heikki Ikonen

System Architect

Netgain IT Business Consulting

www.netgain.se

• 2.  Re: Resources for Developers for APM/ITAM Web Services?

Posted Nov 22, 2016 10:39 AM

Hi Heikki,

We do not have any further documentation that is available for the WebServcies option.

Regards,

Carol Uranker

• 3.  Re: Resources for Developers for APM/ITAM Web Services?

Posted Nov 22, 2016 12:22 PM

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am not a developer myself, so maybe I am asking the wrong kind of question :-)

How do other 'APM WS newbies' prepare and start a new development project for APM Web Services? Is any particular knowledge or understanding of the principles and concepts of CA APM / ITAM required? Or is it sufficient to use the web services documentation provided in APM?

Our developers have read the current documentation and seem satisfied with that, now they are getting ready to start developing and testing proof-of-concept code. I just want to make sure that we are not missing any useful or important information or guidelines.

Best regards,

/Heikki

• 4.  Re: Resources for Developers for APM/ITAM Web Services?

Posted Nov 22, 2016 12:51 PM

Hi Heikki hikonen

It's important that they understand the application rules and dependencies when it comes to its functionality, e.g. that a model is required in order to create an asset, a template is required to create a legal document, how to lookup existing objects in order to update these, etc. etc. All depending on the functionality that your web services based front-end is supposed to expose of course...

Thanks,

John Sorensen (and definitely another newbie when it comes to web services integration... )

• 5.  Re: Resources for Developers for APM/ITAM Web Services?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 06:01 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we are working with the developers to do a knowledge transfer of the general principles around ITAM. One should never underestimate how curious and inquisitive developers are! :-)

/Heikki