CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA ServiceDesk - Inserting workflow tasks with notifications

Posted Nov 02, 2017 08:46 AM

Hi all, 

I am struggling somewhat in trying to get notifications sent to a user when a task is pending. 

Currently, workflow tasks are linked to change orders. 

When a particular workflow task is pending, a macro will send out a task notification to the group. 

See pictures of this as an example. 

This works very well as long as the workflow template is defined appropriately.

My issue is that  users often need to insert a workflow after saving the change.

This inserted workflow task will differ each time and thus cannot be used in the workflow template.

I then need the same rule that sends the notification out when the inserted step eventually becomes pending. (it will initially be in a "wait" state). 

I have explored the possibility of adding a macro on the Insert Workflow Task activity notification detail, but the problem is that this does not provide for change order workflow task but change order only. 

Any ideas on how to get a notification sent out when an inserted task changes to pending?

• 2.  Re: CA ServiceDesk - Inserting workflow tasks with notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2017 09:36 AM

You can simply choose "Change Orders" as the object type and this will be triggered whenever you insert a task to a change order.

• 3.  Re: CA ServiceDesk - Inserting workflow tasks with notifications

Posted Nov 02, 2017 09:55 AM

Hi Chi, 

My macro is a change order workflow task, not a change order. 

So if I choose "change order" in the insert workflow task activity notification.....then I wont be able to add the "Task Notification" (pictured above) as this is a change workflow task object type which sends a notification to the group of the workflow. 

• 4.  Re: CA ServiceDesk - Inserting workflow tasks with notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2017 10:09 AM

James, you are right...that way you would need to use change order notifications and let some users(chg assignee, for example) know there is a task inserted into the change order. If you would really need to notify wf task assignee/group when the task inserted changes its status to PENDING, you would need to write spel trigger for this purpose. I don't think there is configurable way for this. Thanks _Chi

• 5.  Re: CA ServiceDesk - Inserting workflow tasks with notifications
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2017 12:13 PM

Hi James,

Both Behavior and Auto-Assignment features of tasks are only available when defining the workflow on the category in the current design. These features are not available when inserting a task. The only exception is if you choose to insert another task like one already defined in the workflow.

To deal with this today, you could have the person who adds the task send a manual notification to the assignee to let them know of the upcoming task.

Another approach would be to have a generic, placeholder task in the workflow that can be deleted/skipped. This task could have the notification behavior associated. Then instead of inserting tasks, you would delete the unnecessary task.

If you would like to see this functionality added to the product, please submit an Idea so that we can get feedback from the community on the requirements along with the importance of this idea.

Thank you,

Carol Piccus