CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Service Desk Disk Space / Attachments

Posted Jun 07, 2017 09:13 AM

Hello,

We have a Service Desk Manager 14.1 CUM2 implementation. Our disk C: (Where resides SDM) is getting full, we supposed that this is because of the attachments size. We discussed internally 2 options. The first one is to create an Archiving and Purge rule for the tickets attachments so this will be clearing the disk, but it wouldn't be feasible because the user wouldn't see the document attached to the ticket if this was Archived and Purged.  Our second choice is to change the repository of the attachment to a big file server, but What would happen to the attached documents that already belong to a ticket?

Please help us or suggest us a solution.

Regards,

Jose Pichardo

• 2.  Re: Service Desk Disk Space / Attachments

Posted Jun 07, 2017 10:36 AM

Hi Jose,

Regarding your first option about archive/purge for attachments, you cannot archive/purge attachments without archiving tickets.  So you would not lose attachments that are on existing tickets.  Rather when you purge tickets, their attachments go with it.  Now, to address your space issue, you do have a few options.  First, is this a physical or virtual machine?  If its a virtual machine, your admin team should just add another large drive to the virtual machine, and you can move the attachments there. Service Desk now also allows for the use of a UNC share to store attachments as well, so that is also an option.  Now regardless of where you decide to move the physical attachment files, you would just need to update the repository itself to point it to the new directory or share where the attachments were moved.  The way attachments are stored in SDM is this:  There is an attachments table which stores attachments, their file name, location (which repository) and gives them an ID.  Then there is an attachment LREL table which links attachments to tickets for which they belong to.  Those relationships will not change, so there wont be an issue with the attachments being associated to tickets.  Its the repository itself that points to where the files are physically located, so once thats changed, there wont be a problem.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Service Desk Disk Space / Attachments

Posted Dec 08, 2017 09:44 AM

So Jon, what you're saying is that i only have to update the upload path, move the physical attachment files and i assume upload the servlet server and repository server for the repository im working with.