CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Aug 26, 2016 05:46 PM

We have 14.1 with CP2 on windows.  While  applying 14.1 CP3.

It prompts for DB config .

BUT there is also option to skip !!! Also more info tells  

If the MDB patch is already installed for a capability, you can skip this step by clicking the "Skip this step" link.

#I believe in previous cumulative patch  we did apply mdb patch once

How do I know if this can be skipped or really required. We need to work with DBA for  SA access.

BTW when I skip this step then I don't see  Xflow and search server component selected in next screen !!! 

RE:   Latest patch for Service desk manager 

Thanks in advance

skh

• 2.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2016 09:10 PM

Hi SKH, 

We upgraded our environment about a month ago therefore I'm relying on my memory. I apologize in advance if it's not 100% accurate. As I recall we had to update the mdb for the search/xflow option. We have a standard setup so 1 primary and 2 secondaries. I added the search server to one of the secondaries and the xflow to the other. Expect a memory hog on the xflow server, I would say about an additional 2 gigs over what you have been seeing (unless it's load based then it just pertains to my environment). Also, allow the default load as stated in the documentation.

I believe based on my experience is that you should always upgrade the mdb if the directions tell you to. Sometimes that's a bit ambiguous but the wiki has been a big improvement over the old text files they had included in the iso.

Hope that helps!

• 3.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Aug 29, 2016 01:13 AM

Hello skh,

I'd echo what David said.

In particular about not skipping this MDB patch and do choose to go ahead and install it.

The wording of the question mentions that you may skip it if you have already installed the MDB patch for another capability. However, typically, you would know this - you don't tend to forget putting on an MDB patch. Or shouldn't.  :-)

However, you can always check what is in a patch by decompressing (cazipxp -u <patch number>) it first and looking at the files.

In this case, ITSM 14.1.03 is RO90566.

RO90566 contains CASM_14.1.03_CommonPatchInstaller_Win.zip

CASM_14.1.03_CommonPatchInstaller_Win.zip contains RO90508  WIN-14.1.03  LANGUAGES PATCH.

RO90508  contains:

• MSSQL_MDB.CAZ    8643711 THU JUN 02 07:19:34 2016
    • ORACLE_MDB.CAZ    8520072 THU JUN 02 07:19:34 2016

And if you open up those, you'll find a readme on the MDB patch for your relevant version. For example, this is the one for SQL: 

• CA Management Database r1.0.04-030 Service Pack 16788484 Readme

IN SHORT

• So you could check to see if you have RO90508 loaded in your <servername>.HIS file, and also check that MDB patch to see if it gives details that allows you to identify it on your system. 

• The general "rule of thumb" though is "Do not skip an MDB patch without good reason."
    • The corollary to that rule is "The wise person takes backups and runs installation tests on servers with snapshots."

Let us know what choice you made and the result.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

P.S. Could the installer be smarter and do this check for you? Probably.
    You may like to raise an Idea for this and cross-link to this post. 

• 4.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Aug 29, 2016 04:08 PM

Hi Kyle,

Something to note, I believe that any steps from an MDB cumulative patch that have been previously applied will not be reapplied.  The check for that will not happen until after this configuration screen however.  Thus, there should not be a risk in "reapplying" an MDB patch that was previously applied as no steps will be taken.  Please correct me if I am wrong

Regards,

Marty

• 5.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Aug 29, 2016 07:41 PM

Thanks Marty,

I thought that was the case, but didn't want to put it out there in black and white, as it didn't change the outcome.

It certainly is the most straight forward way to do things and would be how I would approach it if doing an installation. I always like to err on the side of caution though - by having a snapshot before I started. 

Kyle_R.

• 6.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

• 7.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Aug 29, 2016 02:07 PM

Thanks all for your response.

As it appears  mdb patch is for  the search/xflow option, planning to  apply the CP3  [with mdb patch].

Will update once done.

SKH

• 8.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Sep 01, 2016 03:04 PM

Applied CP3 with MDB patch [need to provide db config info] then only able to install

-Xflow and

-search server components

Once  completed,  "Patch Installation Summary" 

has Log info where you can click to open the log for patch verification including mdb patch.

NOTE:

In my case  

a. C:\Program~1\CA\casm_patch_log\Logs has  SearchServer_Install_<timestamp>

b.  Xflow install log was in respective install \logs  xFlow_Analyst_Interface_Install_<timestamp>

Tnx all again

• 9.  Re: MDB patch required  for cp3 on top of cp2 ???

Posted Sep 02, 2016 12:19 AM

Thanks. If you've got what you need, could you flag one post as Correct Answer?

Kyle_R.