CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question

Posted Jul 15, 2016 04:14 PM

Looking at the below explanation, does this mean that analysts will not be able to create a change order during the blackout window, or is it just more of a visual thing on the change calendar showing analysts when the blackout window is so that they won't create a change order?

Blackout Window

Indicates a scheduled time period during which CI changes should not occur. This blackout can indicate a reduced support period (for example, a holiday), a corporate event, or a critical business time, such as fiscal year-end. In general, scheduled changes should only occur outside blackout windows.

Thanks,

Tammy

• 2.  Re: SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 18, 2016 09:29 AM

HI Tammy,  in doing some quick testing on my side, I created a blackout window for the rest of this month, and then attempted to schedule a change order during that time, which it DID let me save it.  I see on the change calendar that the change I created shows with a "!" mark on it - warning that its scheduled within a blackout period.  So I would go with the notion that it does not prevent changes from being created, but is really geared more towards the change calendar showing things visibly.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question

Posted Jul 18, 2016 07:06 PM

Thanks, Jon.  And that's exactly how I hoped it would work.  Sorry, but I didn't have time to play with it myself and needed a quick answer before I even suggest to someone here that we go down the path of using the calendar to show blackout windows.  We're not fully using change management yet, but every little thing I can implement towards that end will help to move us in that direction.  Thank you so much for the answer.

Tammy

• 4.  Re: SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question

Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:26 AM

However, Jon.... Now that I think about it, this would be a good options manager setting -- (or better yet, a field on the actual blackout window you're creating) -- to say whether you want change orders to be able to be created in the blackout window or not.  (I know, submit an 'idea')..... 

Tammy

• 5.  Re: SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question

Posted Jul 19, 2016 09:49 AM
    Agreed,  I would vote for it :)

• 6.  Re: SDM 14.1 - Change 'blackout window' question

Posted Jul 19, 2016 10:36 AM

Here's the submitted idea:  SDM - Change 'blackout window' setting