CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA tools installation on Cloud env

Posted Aug 18, 2016 12:58 AM

Hi Team,

We have a bunch of CA tools like service desk,spectrum,ehealth. We are planning to migrate the same to the cloud environment, kindly let me know :

1. if this is possible/feasible.

2. compatibility issues

3. any ports to be opened

• 2.  Re: CA tools installation on Cloud env
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2016 08:49 AM

Hi Pushpith,

I can only personally speak for CA Service Desk Manager.  Yes it is feasible/possible.  I dont know of any "compatibility" issues, but that also depends on what you mean specifically by "migrate to the cloud environment" - what platform are you planning to use?  And are you planning to move the DB also or just the application servers?  As for ports, if you are moving both the db and application servers together to a cloud platform, then you would need to make sure that the normal standard ports required for communication between the servers and the db server are open, and of course the web ports such as 80, 8080, and any others, including any ssl ports being used.   Basically the same principals apply in the cloud that apply to having the product running on servers within the walls of your organization, its just that the servers are running remotely somewhere else.

Now that said, we have had other customers in the past ask about running CA Service Management applications in Amazon EC2 or AWS environments.   At the time we had reached out to product management and were advised the following:

"CA Service Management products have not been designed for or tested to work in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment, however they are expected to work there when accessed through the internet and also intranet provided the ports are not blocked by a firewall; just as they are in other virtualized environments.

While implementing CA Service Management products in the AWS environment will not invalidate our support of them, CA Support will not be able to assist with the setup or configuration of AWS environment. If an error occurs in an AWS-implemented installation, it may be necessary to reproduce the issue in a standard (non-AWS) environment. CA will provide remediation for the problem as long as it is reproducible in the supported configuration.

CA reserves the right to refuse support of un-certified configurations should the reported problem require a major redesign or introduces risk of destabilization to the product or platform in order to function properly."

I hope this helps a bit.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: CA tools installation on Cloud env

Posted Aug 19, 2016 02:54 AM

Thanks a lot Jon.