CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures

Posted Jan 26, 2017 09:23 AM

I'm new to CA SAM.

I want to remove some data from the raw inventory so that it is not reflected in the raw inventory such as dotnet framework etc.

Can anyone guide me on how to use Pre-processors and if there are any best practices for CA SAM?

I can't understand the pre-processor ignore_signatures.

The documentation is indeed confusing.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 2.  Re: CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures

Posted Jan 26, 2017 12:39 PM

Hi Sahil,

A pre-processor XML is simply one or more of the XML's that runs only ONCE.  They serve to produce one or more csv files that are then used as input by another XML in a connector. 

The ignore_signatures pre-processor inputs the raw inventory and then separates out the 'ignored' from the 'accepted' records and puts them into two different csv files.  Then the 'accepted' csv data is used by another xml file as input to load the data into CA SAM. 

If you do not have experience with connectors, please review this document:  Getting Started with CA Software Asset Manager Sample Connectors 

Although this document does not specifically mention pre-processors, if you follow the ITCM connector example, you can see their are a couple of pre-processor xmls' at work (they pre-load several tables with data prior to importing the devices.) 

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies

• 3.  Re: CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures

Posted Jan 27, 2017 04:44 AM

This document is about configuring the connector, I'm done with this.

Any knowledge on how to use preprocessors?

• 4.  Re: CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures

Posted Jan 30, 2017 05:55 AM

Good day Gale,

Any knowledge on how we can get the EXE/MSI information from ITCM into CA SAM.

The CA ITCM connector only imports the ARP information into CA SAM.

Regards,

Sahil

• 5.  Re: CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 28, 2017 02:12 AM

Hi,

Please know that functions like this is meant for Advanced users only. You need to understand the implication of using a Ignored Filter as a pre-processor.

The Perprocessor can be used to inject between the RAW data extract for e.g. SCCM or ITCM and the flter the output for all Ignored RAW data so it is not imported into SAM.

Something like this :

And then insert this section in the Blue marked spot

And the finally change the import section to only import the Filtered list:

IMPORTANT! 

We never recommend to start filtering the RAW data unless you absolutely have to, due to e.g. import time . The reason for this is that you loose some control of the RAW data on the devices. So you need to know what and why you are doing it so you do not risk any Missed data.

Hope it helps

Kim

• 6.  Re: CA SAM preprocessor ignore_signatures

Posted Jan 30, 2017 03:51 AM

Thanks Guys,

I'm done with this. Thanks Gale for pointing in the right direction.

Thanks Kim.