CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

• 1.  CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Nov 27, 2015 08:22 AM

Hi Team,

I have an existing CABI 3.1 environment which is integrated with CA SDM 12.7.There are two universes in BI(CA Service Desk 12.7 Universe and CA Service Desk Derived Universe). Meanwhile, I have installed CA SDM 12.9 in another box and I want to use the same CABI 3.1 (but upgraded one CA BI 3.3, I need to upgrade the CA BI from 3.1 to 3.3 also) for SDM 12.9 as well .The existing CA SDM 12.7 will be chucked out and will be of no use any more.

So what will be my steps? Should I execute the DVD 2 in CA SDM 12.9 and configure CA BI integration again with the existing CA BI 3.1 which in turn will upgrade the universes and  then I need to upgrade the CA BI 3.1 to 3.3?

What would be the correct procedure to do this. Someone please share the steps.

Thanks

Manirul

• 2.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Nov 27, 2015 10:30 AM

Hello Team,

Can anyone please guide me on  how can I use the existing CA BI 3.1(Which is being used by SDM 12.7 now, This existing CA BI 3.1 need to upgrade to CA BI 3.3 for sdm 12.9 use as well) for CA SDM 12.9?

Thanks

Manirul

• 3.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Nov 27, 2015 01:41 PM

Hi Team,

Any help for the same?

Thanks

Manirul

• 4.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2015 01:48 PM

If you are keeping your cabi server the same, then all you need is to get the cabi 3.3 upgrade done on the existing cabi node. This normally is done  by running the dvd2 setup which should detect existing cabi and upgrade it. 

Then run the cabi configuration for SDM option on the same DVD to get 12.9 cabi content. 

I would highly recommend testing this and not try it in prod directly. Especially if you have custom reports or custom universe 

_R

• 5.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Dec 17, 2015 01:52 PM

Hi Raghu,

Sorry,I got it wrong. The CABI 3.3 server is different.So the scenario is like there is an existing CA SDM 12.7 and  CABI 3.1 integrated. So we need to create different servers for SDM 12.9 and CABI 3.3 (with the same reports of  CABI 3.1).CA SDM 12.9 is already taken care of, we just need to concentrate on CABI.Below is the procedure I followed:-

Source Cabi:-

1.Taken Backup of CMS database

2.Taken backup of filestore c:\Program Files(x86)\CA\SC\CommonReporting3\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\FileStore

3. Noted down the DSN name

In swing Box:-

4.Created 32 bit DSN with the same name noted from existing CABI 3.1

5.Installed CABI 3.1 fresh

6.Restored the backed up CMS

7.Restored the backed up filestore

9. Imported the default and custom universes from existing to swing using Import wizard

10.Upgraded CABI 3.1 to CABI 3.3

11. Backed up filestore and CMS database

Dummy Prod:-

1.Installed CABI 3.3 fresh using a 32 bit DSN of same name noted in Swing and Source

2.Restored CMS and Filestore from swing

3.Imported Universe and all using Import wizard from Source Cabi

4.Executed the cabi configuration for SDM using DVD2

I followed the following techdocs to achieve all of the above:-

TEC595754-What CA Service Desk Manager (CA SDM) connection settings are preferred on the CA SDM CABI Universe?

TEC618156-How to move from one CA Business Intelligence (CABI) server to another server, but also preserve existing CABI data?

TEC578370-How to use the Business Object Import Wizard program to copy CA Business Intelligence (CABI) content from one CABI environment to another.

and help of this thread as well Advice On Moving CABI To Application New Server  though I got confused on the DSN part on this thread.

Now I see the following error when I open any report in newly created dummy prod:-

'Some objects no longer available in the universe (WIS00001)'

and for some other reports  file repository server can not find the object error

I am not sure I have followed the exact procedure. If you kindly help me and state the exact procedure and steps it will be very much helpful.

Thanks in advance Raghu.Rudraraju

-Manirul

• 6.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 17, 2015 04:11 PM

Hi Manirul,

You would lose the integrity of the CABI meta-data after below steps

In swing Box:-

6.Restored the backed up CMS

7.Restored the backed up filestore

Since the above was done, you basically have a "new" CABI host  with old CABI server name references.  This will start causing conflicts with communication etc, to start with and might also result in some components not start up at all. Server Intelligence Agent would try to find other server components that it needs to start and might find 0.

I would suggest raise a support case for this so that some cleanup can be done.

_R

• 7.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Dec 18, 2015 02:20 AM

Hi Raghu,

As I restored the CMS database, To break the old server reference and default servers of the SIA, I followed the "TEC618156-How to move from one CA Business Intelligence (CABI) server to another server, but also preserve existing CABI data"  where its mentioned how to delete the old server reference and create new SIA to use new server's (swing box) file server,input server and all other default servers.

After this, I executed CABI configurations for SDM which upgraded the CABI universes (default and custom universe) and then to correct the settings of the universes for connectivity,I followed  "TEC595754-What CA Service Desk Manager (CA SDM) connection settings are preferred on the CA SDM CABI Universe? "  which corrected the problem of connectivity between swing box CABI and SDM 12.9 .

Same procedure I followed for swing to dummy prod movement.

The issue I am facing, 'Some objects no longer available in the universe (WIS00001)' seems is in universes which I imported using Import Wizard.

One more thing I want to mention here, The source CABI is integrated with LDAP and through Import wizard I could not import users and groups swing, but when I restored the CMS backup from source, the swing cabi got the users, groups and also was automatically integrated with LDAP.

So if you please tell me the exact steps, it would be very much appreciable. I will follow those steps again for cross check (I guess,I might have missed some steps or point) and if does not work,I will go for ticket.

Please Help.

Thanks

Manirul

• 8.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 03:06 PM

Hi Manirul,

If you already got the cleanup done as in "TEC618156", then you are OK from that configuration aspect.

Do your custom reports work fine in your swing env then?  After following the above steps where in you got the content from prod into swing env, and there, do your reports function fine?  Or did the reports lose connectivity there as well?

_R

• 9.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Dec 18, 2015 04:15 PM

Hi,

Both in swing and prod , I get the following pop up when opening any report "Some objects no longer available in the universe (WIS00001)" . I dont see any connectivity issue. Universe connectivity issue is resolved using TEC595754. I used import wizard to import everything from one server to another and I saw some folders and objects were not imported. Meanwhile I could not import users and groups as it was showing error though the source cabi from where I am importing, is working fine with LDAP but when tried to import it could not login:-

Import Wizard.png

So I want to make biar of everything of the cabi source server and then import that biar from command prompt in swing. Can I do that? or If we can just take backup of the universes and restore those universes in swing. But I dont know how to take backup of universes and all.

If you please put some light on how to take backup of universes and all other things  from existing source cabi and restore that, it will be helpful as I dont want to use Import wizard anymore.

Raghu.RudrarajuGale_BaconNaveen_Desham

Thanks in advance.

Manirul

• 10.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Posted Dec 24, 2015 09:43 AM

Hi Team,

Can anyone please help me to take backup of default universe and derived universe from existing environment through Designer and import these universes in another boxi environment using Designer?

Please tell me  the steps:-

1. How to take backup of universes using Designer or any other way.

2. How to import these universes through Designer or any other way.

I actually need to move an exiting production  SDM 12.7 and CABI 3.1  to another two servers where there will be  SDM 12.9 and and CABI 3.3  but with the same contents from of the existing production. SDM 12.7 to 12.9 migration section is taken care of but we are stuck with the CABI 3.1 to 3.3 migration. If anyone got better idea please share.

Thanks in advance.

Manirul

• 11.  Re: CABI 3.1 to 3.3 Upgradation and SDM 12.9 Integration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 31, 2015 09:41 AM

Hi Manirul,

Normally Import Wizard is one approach, while DB backup/restore is the other.  Whilst Import Wizard lets you pick and choose items,   db backup/restore etc., is an all in approach.

Given that you seemed to have followed the correct approach originally, a ticket with support may be a good idea at this time to move this forward.

_R