CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

• 1.  CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Nov 14, 2016 09:40 AM

The format of the Knowledge Base articles when viewed from PC web browsers has changed over the last few months.  I expect this was to accommodate a 'responsive design' move / tablet friendly view?

Since I never use a tablet to access technical docs, this results in two issues.  The first is the title size is HUGE and just adds to more vertical scrolling.  Example,

The second, and more important to me, is the title is not longer included when you print / save  or reference the article here in the Communities.  All you get is "Knowledge Base Article".  The forces us to manually add labels when referencing the articles# because the 'auto link' feature of editing a post.

Does anyone else have this issue?  I see it all browsers.

J.W.

• 2.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 04:41 PM

I've seen the large print title, but not the missing title when right-click printing.

• 3.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2016 02:29 AM

Hi J.W.

When I printed the TEC1192698 you did copy & paste, the title with large font was printed appropriately. I suppose the problem you encountered might be caused the printer driver...

Regarding the change to the "Knowledge Base Articles" when you copy and paste the url here. When you right click the "Knowledge Base Articles", you will see the following tool bar. Please try to click the "h://" icon. The original url will appear.  Although the additional action needs, you can show the original url by this. I tried to look for the way to make the editor do the previous behavior, I could not find it. Sorry...

It should work as the responsive design. I will copy the screenshot as follows. I took them by the below steps.

1. Open the knowledge doc page with wide width of browser.

2. Drag the vertical border of the browser and narrow the width of the browser(I don't modify the font size of the page). Then, the indication was changed. Although the above and the below screenshot may be automatically adjusted, the font comparing might be hard but the font also became a small. When I saw this page on the iPhone and Android(Chrome), the below style screen appeared.

Best regards, Kosei

• 4.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:10 AM

Thank you for the follow up.  I will try to remember the extra step to reveal the title after a URL has been copied.  Perhaps this tip could be published to the Communities?  It would help the readability of posted documents.

I haven't change my print drivers and I have tried various printers, including the built-in Microsoft XPS Document Writer and Microsoft Print to PTF.  Perhaps the option to view the Knowledge Documents as PDF from the actual article is possible?  Such as available here in the Communities?  Then maybe that option could pass the title as the metadata to whatever PDF viewer is available to the browser?

Regards,

J.W.

• 5.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2016 02:40 AM

Hi J.W.

Perhaps this tip could be published to the Communities?  It would help the readability of posted documents.

I created the document in the community as follows

URL indication is changed to the "Knowledge Base Articles". 

I haven't change my print drivers and I have tried various printers, including the built-in Microsoft XPS Document Writer and Microsoft Print to PTF.

Just in case, I installed the XPS viewer and printed as .xps file. It worked fine as follows. You might use the XPS viewer with the Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Perhaps the option to view the Knowledge Documents as PDF from the actual article is possible?  Such as available here in the Communities? 

I suppose there is not the feature here. But I will try to check it in house, and feedback to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Kosei

• 6.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Nov 24, 2016 08:29 AM

Thank you for the article.

The issue is not with the contents printing / saving but with the <title> no longer captured into the Print or Save As dialog.  This was the behavior before.  It now just shows 'Knowledge Base Articles' as is shown in the header of your XPS example.

J.W.

• 7.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2016 07:59 PM

Hi J.W.

When we do output the content to the file like the xps file and the pdf file, the filename is not the KB's content but the "*.xps" , "Knowledge Base Article.pdf" as follows. Your expectation is set the article's subject as the filename. My understanding is correct?

On the Chrome, I verified the "Knowledge Base Article.pdf" is set as the filename. Here is the result of my check. Also, I verified XPS file was set *.xps as the filename as you mentioned in house.

I am discussing about this in house. I will let you know about the feedback later

Thank you for your patience.

Kosei

• 8.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Nov 25, 2016 05:07 PM

Kosei_Oshita

Thank you, yes, that is correct.  The previous behavior was that the <title> was populated in the File Name field and then the type was populated based on the print type selected.  It always shows 'Knowledge Base Articles' now.

J.W.

• 9.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 27, 2016 07:41 PM

Hi J.W.

I verified that the current behavior that the "Knowlege Base Articles" is set as the filename is a design of this site in house. Now, I can input your expectation as the customer voice in house. However, it does not mean we commit to meet your expectation. The division in charge of the site will consider about it and decide the direction in future. Also, I cannot let you know when the expectation is met in future. If your expectation is meet in future, you will notice about it one day.

If you agree it, I will input your expectation to the division that is in charge. If you expect it, let me confirm one thing. When you save the knowledge article as the file like the pdf, the expected filename is the article's title? Or is it ok to set the knowledge ID like "TEC613668.pdf"?

Best regards, Kosei

• 10.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Nov 27, 2016 10:17 PM

Kosei,

Thank you, I understand that the change may not be approved.

The expectation would be that the <title> would populate the file name and not just the TEC doc number; since the TEC number does not provide any context and no search terms for later retrieval offline.

J.W.

• 11.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 08:28 PM

Hi J.W.

I will let you know I submitted your expectation to the knowledge base community in house. It may be reviewed in the team in charge of the Knowledge Management team, and will be decided about the action. Please note the submit does not mean our commit. And even if it is approved as the enhancement, it is hard for me to let him know about it. I cannot monitor this topic in future continuously.

As we clarify about your following voice, if you ok, please close this thread

• You expect that the article's title is set as the filename when you save the article to the file.
    • As you understand, the site is responsive design.
    • The "Knowledge Base Article" is indicated when you set the URL in the editor, it is possible to change the indication to the exact URL. I created the Doc in the community. URL indication is changed to the "Knowledge Base Articles". 

Best regards, Kosei

• 12.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 08:29 PM

• 13.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 01:42 AM

Hi J_W

Did this answer your question of this thread? If it did please mark it as answered.

Best regards, Kosei

• 14.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Dec 02, 2016 07:57 AM

Kosei_Oshita

I didn't open this as a Question, just a Discussion, so there is nothing to mark Answered.

Regards,

J.W.

• 15.  Re: CA Support - Knowledge Base articles format

Posted Jan 12, 2017 11:50 AM

Just to let everyone know, this is working for me now in Firefox.  I haven't checked IE or Chrome yet.

Thanks,

J.W.