CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Restore from Archive

Posted Jun 08, 2016 04:17 PM

Is there anyway to find out exactly when a ticket was archived? I'm trying to figure out the exact .dat file that needs to be restored.

• 2.  Re: Restore from Archive

Posted Jun 08, 2016 05:54 PM

Hi Sheena,

There is no "catalog" of archived/purged tickets to look at.  The only way I would think to do this would be to use a search tool such as Agent Randsack (a freebie that you can download) which can search content of files, and use it to search all files in that archive directory for either a string that would be contained in that ticket, or possibly its refnum value (ticket number) or something else to denote that specific ticket.

Outside of that, I dont know of any other way to track that down.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Restore from Archive

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 05:54 PM

I don't believe the information is stored that tracks what tickets were archived and when. You would likely have to search through the .dat files manually.

• 4.  Re: Restore from Archive
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2016 06:15 PM

Hi Sheena,

We haven't started archiving yet, but in anticipation of when we do need to, I worked with a CA partner and he helped write up instructions for how to do that (which is basically the same thing as what Jon and Alex said).   I'm sharing the instructions below in case it helps.

Tammy

To retrieve and load a ticket back into the system:

Go to the archive folder on the primary server where data is archived to.

Find the file that contains the ticket number you wish to retrieve by using a tool, such as ‘TextPad’.

Click on Search / Find in Files.  For example, search on cr:604846 – Browse to the path where the archive files are, and click ‘Find’.

The search results at the bottom of the screen will show you what files it finds that ticket number in.

Click on the desired file to open it.

The easiest thing to do at this point is to load that entire archive file back into the system.  All tickets in the file will be loaded, but
    will all archive out again the next time the archive & purge rules run.

The command to issue on the primary server to load the file contents back into the system is:

pdm_load –v –f filename.dat > filename.out 2>&1

This command will load the data in the filename.dat file and write the output of the command to the filename.out file.  Recommend file name to be the same as the rule name for consistency. 

If you do need to just load one ticket, you’ll need to copy the contents for that ticket from the file into a new file.  (txt, dat etc).

Find where that ticket number first starts in the file, and copy from the ‘TABLE Call_Req’ line above it, all the way until the line before the next ‘TABLE Call_Req’ line.  Paste that into a new file, save it with a name.  Use the above command to load this file’s contents back into the system.

• 5.  Re: Restore from Archive

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 09, 2016 06:45 PM

Thanks once again Tammy for sharing your insight. 

Sheena - does Tammy's solution address your requirement?

• 6.  Re: Restore from Archive

Posted Jun 10, 2016 09:44 AM

I used Agent Randsack and was able to search by ticket number to find the .dat file I needed. Thanks so much.