CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Automated CI synchronisation and reconciliation

Posted May 10, 2016 05:42 PM

Hello,

I have been asked by one of our customers whether there is the ability for CIs to be created or updated automatically on a daily or weekly basis into the CMDB when another tool they are implementing detects devices on their network.

While I am aware there is a reconciliation tool that I believe works in conjunction with GR Loader, it still seems like a manual process. The documentation for CA Service Desk Manager 12.6 refers to an MDR Launcher from which it appears we can define external sources and have GR Loader import (update?) results into the CMDB. It seems like the only missing part is an automation engine of some kind or possibly another CA product that could perform that function?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated

Thank you

David

• 2.  Re: Automated CI synchronisation and reconciliation

Posted May 10, 2016 07:06 PM

Hi David,  few things on this one.  First, just wanted to mention that SDM 12.6 is no longer supported as of Dec 2015.  The customer really should be planning to upgrade to 14.1 as soon as possible to remain supported and be able to get assistance with any issues as currently we would not really be able to assist much on a 12.6 system without extended support.  With that, there are automated ways to import CIs into CMDB using certain CA products.  You mentioned that the customer is implementing another tool - do you know what that is?  Is it a CA tool that has discovery capability?  GRLoader IS manual - you are correct.  The reconciliation process happens when CIs are created - CORA checks certain fields to determine if a CI is a duplicate of an existing one or not.  But, even when using CA Products, such as IT Asset Manager - it would discover them as "assets" and then they would have to be imported into CMDB using the "pdm_discimp" utility to import discovered assets.  So there is some manual parts to it as well, but it could probably be automated using scripts.

There may be other products that can do this automatically - you would want to reach out to your account director here at CA to discuss the different applications and their capabilities.

Hope this helps a bit,

Thanks

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Automated CI synchronisation and reconciliation

Posted May 10, 2016 07:24 PM

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that.

The client is intending to use a tool called 'NetLD' by Logic Vein.

Regards,

David