CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How To Purge CMDB

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  How To Purge CMDB

Posted 08-10-2016 04:51 PM

Hi i have many CI inactive in my CMDB and i need Delete or Purge this in my CMDB

i have SDM 14.1 Cum #2 installed with ITCM 12.9 origynally in the same database but actually in diferent database

anny idea?

• 2.  Re: How To Purge CMDB
    Best Answer

Posted 08-10-2016 09:40 PM

Hello Jonathan,

I'm sorry.

There is no good way currently to delete or purge Configuration Items from the CMDB.

See this document TEC1516966 for confirmation: Delete Cis in Service Desk CMDB

CIs are not included in the Archive and Purge tables or rules. However, some data related to the CMDB is stored there and may be be purged.

The trouble with removing CIs is that they they are tied into so many other aspects of the system. Some  examples:

• Many tickets could reference a CI.
    • Relationships reference CIs.
    • A Configuration Item does not live in one table, but across many.

The standard Purge routine does not have the capability to tell which CIs are "referenced" and which aren't.

To request this functionality be included, please vote on this Idea:

CMDB cleanup utlity, remove old cmdb data

The first advice if you are considering manually removing the Configuration Item data:

• Do NOT do this.
      Not unless you are willing to put in significant effort in ensuring related tables are also cleaned up appropriately.
      This is a lot more complex than it appears, and will not be covered by CA Support.

However, if you wish to research doing so, then it is possible to do so with the standard removal command:

• pdm_load -r -f <filename>
    • The corecleanup utility.

Where filename is an appropriately formatted text file with the table name, fields and data to remove. It will typically look like the pdm_extract output.

If you are okay with orphaned entries, then a "quick and dirty" approach would just hit the Configuration Item tables and the Relationships. Again though, this is outside of CA Support. It may be useful on a test system.

In short, the approach to remove data behind the scenes could involve a lot of pain and would be best assisted by a CA Business Partner or CA Services to make sure that all data is properly handled.

The recommendation at present is just to make sure that your database access speed can handle the additional load and leave the entries in there. And to vote on that Idea.

Maybe some other sites who have attempted CI removal can share their experiences?

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 3.  Re: How To Purge CMDB

Former Employee
    Posted 08-15-2016 07:16 PM

Hi JonathanM - Did Kyle_R's response help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!