CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring Document subscriber notifications

• 1.  Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 04:49 PM

I would like to enable the automated activity notifications targeted at document subscribers by setting the Auto Notification flag on the default rule to 'yes', expecting that is all that is required but nothing is being received. I checked that the notification level is set to 'Low' as this is what is commonly set for email notifications. Is there another setting (or settings) that I need to change to make this work?

Thank you

David

• 2.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 07:05 PM

Hi David,  can you confirm that what you are looking for is to have users who subscribe to a document, notified whenever that document is updated?  I would also need to see how you have the notification itself set up (if you can provide a screenshot of the notification with its rules that may help as well).  It sounds like you have it set up properly from the information that you have included here, but I am not totally sure.

Let us know,

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 07:49 PM

Hi Jon,

Yes, that is basically what is being asked for.

As suggested, I've attached images of the notification, rule and template. Note that while these show Auto Notification is disabled, I had enabled it temporarily for testing:

Doc changed activity notification.JPG

Doc changed notification rule.JPG

(no items are visible on the contacts and contact types tabs)

doc changed msg template.JPG

Thanks,

David

• 4.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 08:46 PM

Hi David,

Set auto notification to yes on the message template and test again. I think that will do the trick.

• 5.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 28, 2016 09:45 PM

Hi David,

I tested this on my 14.1 CUM2 system and it seemed to work OK. I received notifications when I reworked/updated a knowledge doc.

You need to set some object contacts on the rule for the notification to be sent to (e.g.  Assignee, Author, Owner) or set a specific contact or contact type. And of course set the auto notification to yes.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Gordon.

• 6.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 10:00 PM

The knowledge subscriber rules are special in that the contacts are specified on the activity notification, however additional contacts can be set on the rule.  I believe all David needs to do is check auto notification on the attached message template.

• 7.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 28, 2016 10:15 PM

Hi,

As originally stated, when I ran the test I temporarily enabled the Auto Notification setting for that event while I tested it in a live environment.

If an analyst clicks on the Subscribe option in a given knowledge document that adds them to the Notification tab of that document (which is what I did in my test; apologies for not making that clear). I would have expected this to be sufficient; Gordon, is that what you did in your test system? Or did you add yourself to the Contacts tab of the rule?

Thank you

David

• 8.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 12:16 AM

Hi David,

I did some more testing. I removed everything from the object contacts, contacts, etc on the notification rule and then just subscribed to the knowledge document. You can see the subscription on the Comments and Notifications/Notifications tab on the KD. I updated, updated and published the document and that generated 'Document Changed' and 'Document Republished' notifications to be sent to the to the subscribed contact. You can see these notifications if you do a View/Notifications and filter the recipient with the subscribed contact.

Are you testing on your 14.1 or 12.6 Service Desk instance? My testing is all on 14.1. CUM2.

Regards,

Gordon.

• 9.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jun 30, 2016 10:44 PM

Hi Gordon,

This was tested on a 12.6 instance (our main one).

The Notification History panel is not showing any notifications generated for me as a subscriber at the time I tested it.

Thanks,

David

• 10.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2016 11:54 PM

Hi David,

Looks like there may be a problem with the subscription notifications in SDM 12.6 as I couldn't get it working either. Unfortunately, 12.6 is EOS so no new fixes are being written for that version and I couldn't find any existing fix that addresses the problem. It does seem to work correctly in 14.1.

Regards,

Gordon

• 11.  Re: Configuring Document subscriber notifications

Posted Jul 04, 2016 12:13 AM

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for that. I'll let the requester know.

Regards,

David