CA Service Management

View Only

Chat Transcript - CA Service Management Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (December 2015)

• 1.  Chat Transcript - CA Service Management Office Hours: A Live Online Chat (December 2015)

Posted Dec 11, 2015 12:36 PM

Miss the December Service Management Office Hours - Online Chat? Check out what you missed below and be sure to join us in January for the next session!

from Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:

Good morning! I will let everyone know when we will be getting started. Thanks!

If anyone has any questions please ask them now! Thanks\

from J.W. to Everyone:

Hey everyone.  Happy Thursday (PST).  I am running SDM 14.1.02 and setting up Mailbox for creating tickets from email .  Are there best practices for using attachments or known issues?  The email is from Outlook.com.  I am getting errors and wanted to check with the group before opening a support ticket.

from Jon Israel (CA) to Everyone:

@J.W. - maileater works very well in 14.1.02, and is fairly easy to set up.  We dont really have any specific documentation for best practices in using it as many customers use it and have it configured differently.  The only thing I will mention here is that I see you mentioned using outlook.com - which I believe office365, and for that I know you need to download the SSL cert from the site, and reference it in the mailbox configuration in order for SDM to connect to the mailbox properly.  There is a technical document for this that is published - you can find it here: http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1911912.aspx

from Derek Cavour to Everyone:

In Service Catalog.  Is there a way to make attachments read-only after being attached to a request?

from Mohamed Al Kenani to Everyone:

Hello, what in SDM controls the notification urgency for a ticket when it is sent (low, normal, high, urgent), is it priority or service type or ...., can we configure it

from J.W. to Everyone:

Tickets are created as expected with no attachments.  The settings are for attach entire email and to splitout the attachments.  I see the attachments in the repository but the ticket is never created.  Thanks.

from vinod (CA) to Everyone:

HI J.W , Adding to Jon update you can configure maileater to use "Force Attachment Splitout" to extract files attached to the email sent

to maileater

In a change order when setting a Scheduled duration is it possible to let the Scheduled end date consider a workshift or offdays in its calculation

from J.W. to Everyone:

Hey, Jon.  Yes, that's the way we have it (see previous response) I'll open an case.  thanks.

from Jason Wolfe (CA) to Everyone:

@Derek - Unfortunately this functionality is not currently possible, however there are events for attachment create/change/delete which you can send a notification or invoke another action. I could suggest raising an Idea on communities.ca.com for the read-only functionality.

@Jason.  Thanks.

@Dererk - No problem

@Mohamed - notification urgency is set at the notification template level.  Notification rules specify which notification template is used.  The notification method to be used with each level is configurable on each contact individually (not each notification, but each level of urgency).

In USS, can users approve (service catalog) pending actions, or must they login into catalog to complete the pending action?

What is the best practice when installing Asset Manager on an existing SDM env., some of the CIs registered might have models without families or their families are different from their models families, which is not acceptable in APM

from Rajeev Kumar (CA) to Everyone:

@Derek - Yes. Users that have approval permission can approve requests in USS without requiring to log in to Servie Catalog interface.

@J.W. - so are you saying that you see the attachments in the repository, but the ticket is not created?  If so, when you send an email without an attachment, and you dont have the "attach entire email" option checked, does a ticket then get created?

@Rajeev - Thanks.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Derek.  I will change the setting and try w/o attachment.  brb

from Dale Clark to Everyone:

@Everyone - Have you responded to the CA Service Management Customer Feedback Survey? We want to hear your feedback to help us understand what is and what isn't working for you. You can take a brief online survey at http://survey.medallia.com/?product-communities&product=CA%20Service%20Desk%20Manager - it should only take 3-5 minutes to complete.

In the mobile ITSM app, can users update form data when approving or rejecting an assigned action?

from Avneesh Bhatnagar (CA) to Everyone:

@Derek yes, it depends upon what components does your environment has, in case of approving tasks from SDM the additional values as provided with the tasks can be updated

@Mohammed - regarding the APM question, this is something that we would recommend you post to the service management community so that folks who have been in similar situations can respond and offer guidance as to how they went about implementing APM in that situation.

@Derek in case of service catalog based request approval the values on the request can be updated however in a separate action than approval

@Jon, in the contact detail i might decide that urgent notification should trigger an SMS, which is a different notification method from the ones in notification rules, so when a ticket will fire a notification depending on its urgency the notification method will be different, am I understanding it right...please advise

@Avneesh, Can you clarify what you mean by a separate action?

@Mohammed - an example - if UserA has the urgent notification level set to use the SMS notification method, then when a notification rule is triggered, and its notification template has "urgent" set as the notify level, then it will send as an SMS to userA.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  An emal without an attachment will create a ticket - regardless of the Attache Entire Email setting.  If the setting is  ON, then the ticket is created and the .eml file is attached.

In Service Catalog, can the embedded form's javascript code call a server side script?

@J.W. - ok - so its only when the email itself has an attachment, and you have the "attachment split out" option enabled?  In that case it does not create a ticket?

In Service Catalog,  how do I prevent a dual-list from auto refreshing during form load?

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  I just tested with Attachment Split Out disabled and with an attachment and it also failed.  The .eml is in the repostitory and if I open it, I can see the entire email and the embedded attachment.

@Derek what means is that while you may approve a request there are other actions that can be applied like comment and editing the ticket which can be used to update the ticket information

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon - Corrrect - the ticket just got created.  So it works without 'Attachment Splitout'.

@Derek - On Service Catalog form javascript code question, it is possible to call a server side script using some advance javascript code. However, plug-ins would be a better route when there is significant communication between the form and server side code.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon - Correction, the ticket WAS created.  I just needed to wait another moment.

@Avneesh - But can you modify the form values and complete the pending action in one step?

@J.W. - ok so just to make sure i understand.... if the attachment splitout option is enabled, it fails whether or not there is an attachment on the email?   OR does it work, even with the option enabled, as long as there is no attachment?   Basically saing that this only fails when the splitout option is enabled, AND there is an attachment on the email.

@Rajeev - When can I find documentation on how to call a plugin from a service catalog form?

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  Yes.  The last sentence.  Only when there is an attachment and the splitout is enabled.

@Derek - Could you provide some clarification on the dual list refresh and how you would like to leverage the same

@J.W. - ok so now I totally understand the problem to be that If the splitout option is enabled, AND maileater encounters an email with an attachment, maileater fails to create a ticket.  For something like that, its best to open a case so that we can run some tracing on the maileater process and see at what point its failing.

@Derek no not for Approval

@Derek - The documentation on how to use plug-ins with a form is available in Service Catalog product documentation. If you are unable to locate it, please post a discussion in Service Management Community so that I can provide exact references.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  Thanks.  I have a very specific error message so I think Support will be able to trace it quick.

@J.W. - if you would like you can try the following and then upload the logs to the case when you open it:   First turn logging on pdm_logstat -f pdm_maileater_nxd.c TRACE, and pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd TRACE, then send through an email with an attachment on it, and ensure the option is enabled for splitout.   Once it fails, Turn the logging off by using these commands:  pdm_logstat -f pdm_mail_nxd.c, and pdm_logstat -n pdm_maileater_nxd.  Then upload the SDM log directory to the case. This will give the engineer a jump start!

Does anyone else have any more questions for the team today.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  Will do.

@Jason - We have had issues with the dual list where the source table (int he db) has changed and submitted requests that have become corrupted as the previoulsly selected values are no longer avilable.  When the form loads the control becomes corrupted as the selected values no longer exist.

Last call for questions for today.

from J.W. to Everyone:

Another quick question on maileater.  Where is the reference to a customer responding to the email generated from creating a ticket - so they can just reply and it will log a comment

In a change order when setting a Scheduled duration is it possible to let the Scheduled end date consider a workshift or offdays in its calculation

from J.W. to Everyone:

The Force is not with my search abilities today, apparently!

@J.W. - in order to do that, in the body of the email reply, it would have to specify the ticket number in a variable like this "%INCIDENT_ID=1234567 (the refnum of the ticket)"   Some customers have hardcoded this into the email notificaiton template used for the notification that goes out to a cusotmer when a ticket is created via maileater, so that its already there.

@Mohamed we will get back to you on change order scheduling question it requires some investigation

@Derek - I'm not aware of this behavior but feel free to raise a thread in the communities or raise a case and we can further review

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  thanks, that is what is tickling my memory.  I can follow up from there.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon I thought there was a TECDOC on it somewhere.....

@J.W. - I just took a quick look and I dont see a document off hand here. I would have to dig further.  Basically the variables that can be passed to update or create a ticket are in the text_api.cfg file located under the site directory.

@Jon, the notification level in a message template in a notification rule uses only the email method & not other methods

@Jason - Thanks -- will do!

@Mohammed - No, the notification level specifiies the level used for that particular notification rule. Based on that level, the system chooses the notification method based upon what that notification level is set to use on the contact record.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  Thanks.  I used to do this all the time with integration to TNG/NSM.  Just have to dig through the notification process.

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  So, I see the 'Initial' notification doesn't fire if the ticket is created via email as opposed to web or web services?

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  that is, there are not 2 separate - duplicate - notifications on Initial.

@J.W. - correct.  Maileater sends a response to the customer (configurable on the mailbox rules for the mailbox), that is different than when the ticket is created.

@Mohammed - if you need further assistance with the notication methods/levels please open a case, or post your inquiry to the communities and we can help you out further.  Thanks!

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Jon.  That is what I remember.   I have to work through the uses cases as to whether to use it or not.

@Jon, so where in SDM it is decided that for a ticket its notification urgency is low or normal or ....

Are the mobile ITSM APIs available so that we may do our own app development if needed?

@J.W.- same on yours - if you need further help or have questions, feel free to open a case or post your inquiry to the communities

from J.W. to Everyone:

@Everyone.  Thanks for all the help.  Have a great day.

@Mohammed - notifications are based on notificaiton rules, not tickets.  There is no way to set a notification level for ALL notificaitons on a ticket.  Its driven solely by the notificaiton rules that are triggered for each notification.

from Sally to Everyone:

Good question, Derek.  I'd like to know that answer, too.

@Derek - You cannot extend/customize the existing CA Service Management mobile app. However, you can use SDM REST APIs in a custom mobile app in they way you wish to use them.

Thank you everyone for joining. Please visit the communities page for any other questions. Have a great day.