CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Posted Jun 08, 2016 10:46 AM

SDM 14.1.02

I see there is an option to remove the new "Save As" feature from search forms as documented in:

Remove "Save As" Button on Search Pages in CA SDM 14.1.02

However, is there a way to enable the feature but restrict to certain Access Types or Roles?  The preferred solution would not require updating multiple list_xxxx.htmpl files.

J.W.

• 2.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 11:19 AM

I'm sorry to say that using the Options Manager method is an "all or nothing" situation. The only way that I'm aware of to limit this to specific Roles would involve customization of the form, and then association of the custom form to the Form Group.

• 3.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Posted Jun 08, 2016 12:40 PM

Thanks, Alexander.  I though as much but am doing my due diligence.

There we issues reported after the initial release that once a Saved Search was added to an analyst's scoreboard then their Role scoreboard could no longer be updated by an Administrator via Customize Scoreboard.  (The same as if the analyst has used Customize Scoreboard them self).

Is this the case or was this resolved?

thanks,

J.W.

• 4.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 12:51 PM

Looks like you're hitting this problem. You'll have to get a test fix from Support:

https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbproblem?docid=637269&productcd=USRD&problemnbr=3490&intcmp=searchresultclick&resultnum=1

Title:  DUPLICATION OF SCOREBOARD TREE ON SAVING SEARCHES

Upon saving the searches in Service Desk Manager r14.1.0.2, the scoreboard

tree is duplicated and any customizations to the role's scoreboard will not

be reflected for the user.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Login as an Administrator into Service Desk Manager r 14.1.0.2.

2. Search for Incidents filtered by some Assignee.

3. Click on 'Show Filter' button and then save the search by clicking on

'Save As' button.

Result:

The Saved Search will appear in the user's Scoreboard tree.

Querying the database will reveal that the Scoreboard tree for the

Administrator role is duplicated.

4. Customize the Scoreboard tree for the Administrator role.

Result:

The new customization will not be reflected in the user's Scoreboard tree.

• 5.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Posted Jun 08, 2016 05:49 PM

I'm confused about this one.  In previous versions, if an administrator modified the scoreboard for a particular role, new analysts would get that scoreboard but existing analysts had to do a 'reset tree' to get the changes... Is that not correct?  And if they had customized their own scoreboard (example, added queries themselves), they would need to re-do those customizations again after doing the 'reset tree'.

I assumed that the 14.1 functionality to save your searches was the same result as an analyst customizing their own scoreboard, and if an administrator modified the scoreboard for that role, they would still need to do a 'reset tree' to get the changes -- and then they'd have to re-do any customizations, including creating and saving any saved searches they had.

So are you saying that's not true in 14.1 (if you apply this patch)?  Administrators can modify the scoreboard for that role and all analysts will automatically get the changes the next time they log on, and it will keep the customizations they have done as well as any searches they have saved?

Thanks.

Tammy

• 6.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2016 05:58 PM

Tammy,

The patch only applies to items that were "saved searches". If a user were to modify a scoreboard they are creating a variant scoreboard, and if they wanted to obtain changes that an admin made to the role scoreboard they would still have to "reset tree" as normal. If a user never touched the customize scoreboard, and only did "save searches", they would still get to see updates to the default role scoreboard.

• 7.  Re: Restrict Saved Search ("Save As") by Access Type/Role?

Posted Jun 08, 2016 06:21 PM

Thanks, Alex.  It's a shame that an administrator can't modify the scoreboard for the role and have all analysts automatically get those changes as well as keeping their customizations.  I'm pretty sure I've seen an 'idea' or 2 out there for this (and maybe one of them was from me!)

I would love to make some changes to the analyst scoreboards, but trying to deal with 1000 analysts where half of them have probably added queries, and would refuse to do the reset tree because they don't want to have to re-add their queries would result in not having a consistent scoreboard look -- which isn't something we want at all.

Tammy