CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 18, 2015 12:19 PM

Good Morning,

Recently the search function stopped working after you create a Knowledge document is CASD.   If you publish and search the same day it does not come back in the results.   You can navigate to the category to find it.   The next day it does work so appears to be a indexing issue.   In our test environment it works.   We have had people looking into it.   This just started 2 days ago.   I am wondering if anyone has had this happen and know what the solution may be.

Thanks

Kris Barr

• 2.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 18, 2015 01:53 PM

Hi Kris,

No worries, this is a common thing to encounter!  In order for documents to come up in search results, they need to be indexed. There is a command to do this called pdm_k_reindex.  We do not recommend running this during business hours, but rather after hours if possible.  What some customers do is have a batch file that kicks it off, and is scheduled to run via windows task scheduler either nightly or weekly depending on the volume of new documents created.

For the time being, what you can to do test this out is run the pdm_k_reindex command, and then test to see if your new document comes up in search results.  This will confirm the issue and the resolution

Hope this helps,

Have a great weekend!

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 18, 2015 03:43 PM

Hi Jon.

I don't know if this command will resolve for KrisBarr81981015, but six months ago, I did exactly this command and resolved my problem.

• 4.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 18, 2015 04:29 PM

Thank you but we do have the reindexing set up daily.   This is during the day.   I create the doc and publish and search immediatly for it.   It is the immediate search that we are concerned with.   We know it worked the other day and in our test environment it works fine.   Is it possible this will help this situation?  If I wait a day it does work.   We just can't wait the day.

• 5.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 21, 2015 08:26 AM

Hi KrissBarr81981015,

From what I can tell, documents should be automatically indexed when published, however, that seems it may not be happening on your production system at the moment - that part we may have to look into.  Question - if you create a document and publish it, what does the "indexing status" show on that new document right after you publish it?

For example - on my system, I created a doc and then published it, and I see the following showing the Indexing Status set to "Indexed":

screenshot_document_status.PNG

Do you see the same on your prod system?

Let us know,

Jon I.

• 6.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2015 08:43 AM

Good Morning,

They recycled the environment and it is now working.   Thank You

• 7.  Re: Search not working in Knowledge Management.

Posted Sep 29, 2015 11:06 AM

Good Morning,

This issue happened again.  Recycle does help but does not prevent this from happening again.   I also found in the last 2 days where I reworked a document saved it but when I clicked on User View the data did not show in resolution.  I checked and the HTML code was showing it just didn't display.   I verfied to make sure my doc template was set up correctly and it was.   I even tested it by creating a new one and it did hold the data.   It appears to be sporadic.   I created a new doc template and it would not hold my changes and so I added the changes again.   Later it showed all the changes. 

Basically it appears that there is something wrong with the indexing of the document at the time it is created.   Recycle fixed the search but did not appear to fix the resolution field. 

Have you heard of any of this.   Our CA contacts appear to not be there any more so we are struggling getting our answers. 

Thanks

Kris Barr