CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  SDM 12.1 - Workaround for Summary/Detail Reports 'hang' in IE 11?

Posted Apr 27, 2015 02:48 PM

The customer is some time away from being able to upgrade their SDM release but are getting updated desktops with Windows 8.1 with its built-in default of IE 11.

The issue is that running either Summary or Detail reports from the web interface results in an initial pop-up "In Progress" window and then no further action.  No errors or timeouts - just no reports.  The rest of the interface is not affected at this point.

I know this isn't a supported combination but we are trying to assist with any workarounds from the Community.  We know IE 9 and 10 do not display this issue but we have found no way to install these on Windows 8.1 (as opposed to Windows 8).

Things we have tried:

1. Chrome.  Their supported version of Chrome (most are 25 or later) is not recognized by SDM and displays the 'PDA' interface by default.  I can't locate any Chrome specific configurations on the Communities.

2. Firefox is not supported in their environment.

3. VM of Windows 8 with IE 10.  This works as a proof of concept but the desktops (and IT) do not have the resources to run even a bare-bones VM.

4.  IE 11 settings:

- Compatibility Mode

- Enterprise Mode

- F12 Emulation Modes - all variations on Document Mode, Browser Profile, and User Agent String.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,

J.W.

• 2.  Re: SDM 12.1 - Workaround for Summary/Detail Reports 'hang' in IE 11?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2015 05:33 PM

I'm sorry to say that the root of the problem is really that Service Desk 12.1 is just not designed to run on newer browsers, though I am a bit surprised that using Compatibility Mode didn't help. I think the simplest would be to use Firefox (you may need to use an older version) as it will work and isn't as resource heavy as a full VM, is there any possibility of having an exception to have it allowed until Service Desk is migrated to a supported release?

• 3.  Re: SDM 12.1 - Workaround for Summary/Detail Reports 'hang' in IE 11?

Posted Apr 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Thanks, Alexander.

I will add this to the possible workarounds to the IT support team.

J.W.

• 4.  Re: SDM 12.1 - Workaround for Summary/Detail Reports 'hang' in IE 11?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2015 07:00 PM

I am surprised that even IE10 works with CA SDM 12.1

The issue has to do with the JavaScript code that is called from the summary/detail page.  If you enable JavaScript debugging within IE, you might get some clues as to what the cause is.

As Alex already mentioned, an older version of another browser might be the easiest solution.

• 5.  Re: SDM 12.1 - Workaround for Summary/Detail Reports 'hang' in IE 11?

Posted Apr 28, 2015 11:06 AM

Thanks, Paul.

The project scope doesn't allow us much time to do debugging in their environment (none, actually).  I do not have this particular environment available in my own VMs at the moment (or time to build).  The custom understands this limitation as a trade off.

I will pass on the recommendations.

J.W.