CA Configuration Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Why NDG ?

Posted Oct 17, 2014 05:18 AM

Hi All,

First post so please be kind to me .

I am newbie to CCA and going through the documents. From the documents, I found that NDG is required for asset discovery...... right ? So basically I do know what NDG can do but I don't know why we need, I mean the technical significance of NDG. I worked on BMC Footprints Asset core which is also capable of asset discovery but don't need any component like NDG, I think this make a clear sense why I am worried about NDG.

Thanks and Regards

Vaibhav Singh

• 2.  Re: Why NDG ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2014 12:57 PM

Hi

First, welcome

Everyone defines asset differently based on business needs, When you are looking at CCA, think of it as two independent parts (extremely loosely connected), which is Management Profile Discovery and Network Discover.   You can choose to use one or the other, or both; again, it comes down to your business needs

What are you looking to get \ gather \ accomplish?

The Management Profile gathers detailed information using Blueprints (and the information can actually vary form real basic such as version of software, to detailed info such as a configuration parameter(s) of a specific application in a specific location).  Blueprints can gather whatever you want to gather.  You can gather this info using Agents (which is highly recommended, but do have option for WMI and/or SSH)

The Network Discovery (NDG) gets "static \ hardcoded" data, in sense of it will only get what we tell it to get (built into code).  All information is gathered agentless (SSH,WMI, SDK for Vmware).  One OOTB advantage with NDG is you can get communication relationships and help map out network dependency mapping. 

The above is just the tip of the iceberg as that is much more involved, but hope it helps guide you to where you need.  Please let me know if you need a clarification on anything else

• 3.  Re: Why NDG ?

Posted Oct 20, 2014 01:48 PM

Hi Vaibhav,

Welcome to the Configuration Automation community.

What is the NDG component of CCA ?

· NDG Server is responsible for the CCA Discovery operations that locate and monitor servers throughout the enterprise

· Capable of distributed architecture

· Typically first component configured by end-user

· Multiple methods of discovery supported

o   Ping Sweep

o   TCP Connect Scan

o   ARP Cache Scan

o   DNS Scan

o   Packet Analysis

o   Netlow Analysis

o   IPv6 Local Link Scan

· Application Dependency Mappings (ADM) supported

· Soft-Agent Discovery allows detailed agent-less discovery (WMI/SSH)

· Hardware, Applications, Services, Ports, Relationships, etc

What are some of the Best Practices of NDG?

SAP Portal Services

Manually or Silently Install Network Discovery Gateway | CA Configuration Automation Cookbook

Interactively Install CA Network Discovery Gateway | CA Configuration Automation Cookbook

Please, let me know if you have addtional questions or need more details.

Regards,

Joseph Cabral | CA Product Manager - CA Configuration Automation

• 4.  Re: Why NDG ?

Posted Oct 21, 2014 01:00 AM

Hi @Joseph and @Adnan,

Thank you so much, really appreciated.

Guys I want to discuss one scenario here, so that I can understand CCA working in details.

Lets suppose we have few servers in my organization, I have discovered them by using Network discovery (Agent less), then deployed agent on them by using access profile of type agent .

After few days, I decided to upload/update my servers inventory so I performed deep discovery (with access profile of type agent and management profile), and here comes my question "Does CCA use NDG for deep discovery(Agent Based) too ?" or NDG is just required for first time/Agent less discovery ?

If you have any doubts about my question, kindly let me know

Thanks and Regards

Vaibhav Singh

• 5.  Re: Why NDG ?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2014 08:54 AM

You don't "have to" always run NDG to get the servers into CCA, you can manually add servers one by one (ex: if you need to add two specific servers, this will be quicker than running NDG), of if you have a CSV file of servers and\or IPs, you can import those into the CCA Server list and never have to run NDG.

One main key to always remember is that core CCA, which is Blueprints (in Management Profiles) are independent to Network Discovery; they can each run standalone and get information on their own

Take a look at this thread, some does not apply for you (at least not now), but most may be helpful: Config Automation - Discovery

• 6.  Re: Why NDG ?

Posted Oct 22, 2014 12:53 AM

Hi Adnan,

Thanks once again

The discussion (Link) was very helpful, really appreciate your answers and suggestions. Hope to learn more from you, keep updating us .

Thanks and Regards

Vaibhav Singh