DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Windows running application services Monitoing

• 1.  Windows running application services Monitoing

Posted Apr 20, 2021 02:45 AM
    Hi All,

I am using CA APM 10.7, Is there any possibility to monitor windows services status (start or stop) with Agent, if yes please suggest me how to archive this.

Regards,
    Dip Narayan

• 2.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2021 01:12 PM
    Edited by Haruhiko Davis Apr 22, 2021 12:58 PM
    I'd recommend using APMIA running a custom PowerShell script to return an integer indicating up/down status.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.management/get-service?view=powershell-7.1

SNMP is also an option, but involves a lot more work on your end to make it work.

N.B.: SNMP is now deprecated starting with Windows 2012. You could still use it, no longer officially supported. I'm working on a PowerShell script example and will post it to my public GitHub and forked to the CA APM repo.

------------------------------
    Solution Engineering
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 22, 2021 01:32 AM
    Edited by Janne Koponen Apr 22, 2021 01:44 AM
    Hi - if you can get the status as a value (0=down, 1=up, or similar), you can pass it to APM using the EPAgent plugin, which is available within the latest APM Infrastructure Agent, or standalone for 10.7. 

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/dx-apm-saas/SaaS/implementing-agents/infrastructure-agent/epagent-plug-ins/sample-epagent-plug-in-extensions.html

IN those downloads, there is an example perl script called processAvailability.pl - this is not the same thing, but a good example on how to leverage and schedule scripts to pass any metric to APM using EPagent

You could also use the EPAgent REST interface to pass (POST) the metric to APM. 

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/dx-apm-saas/SaaS/implementing-agents/infrastructure-agent/epagent-plug-ins/standalone-epagent/install-and-configure-the-standalone-epagent/configure-the-standalone-epagent-restful-interface.html

thnks

• 4.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2021 08:43 PM
    Edited by Haruhiko Davis Apr 28, 2021 10:26 AM
    Here you go: Release Windows Services Monitor · htdavis/win-svc-monitor
    I should also mention that it's written in PowerShell, so no additional software is required.

If you have any technical issues, please post to the issues link on the repository.

Solution Engineering
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Posted Sep 06, 2023 11:03 AM

Hi Could someone guide me on how to apply this plugin to monitor Windows services, I have a 10.8 environment.

• 6.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2023 11:59 AM

You can:

1. Download the TAR/GZip and upload to ACC to include in your agent bundle, or
    2. Download and manually add it to your APMIA's extension/deploy folder to automatically deploy it to a running agent. If the extension is extracted out, but doesn't run, then add the folder name to Extensions.profile property introscope.agent.extensions.bundles.boot.load.

Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom

• 7.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Posted Sep 11, 2023 09:31 AM

Hi Hiko 

Thank you for your response, unfortunately I have not been able to apply any of the 2 options since these are the only folders I have:

• 8.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2023 12:57 AM

This extension is meant to be used with APM Infrastructure Agent (APMIA), not the .NET Agent.

Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Posted Sep 12, 2023 10:45 AM

Thanks , One question: Can I install the .net agent and the infrastructure agent on the same server?

• 10.  RE: Windows running application services Monitoing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2023 01:44 PM

Yes

Hiko Davis
    Solution Engineer
    IMS Division | Broadcom