DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Metric missing

Posted Apr 11, 2019 02:29 AM
      |   view attached

hi, any idea why i can not see the given component in the investigator tree under Spring|MVC|Component|..., even/although if i can see a Path to it in the Component Details in the transaction view tab? i checked the clamping, and that shouldnt be the reason.

thanks, stefan

• 2.  Re: Metric missing
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2019 09:28 AM

Dear Stefan:

Did you check your Autoprobe and Agent log in VERBOSE/DEBUG for clues? You may also ask in internal forums and open a case. 

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  RE: Metric missing

Posted Jun 07, 2019 03:15 PM
    Hi Stefan,

I'm going to take a stab at this to try to understand what you are asking and also try to cover what I understand of the tomcat agent.

The tomcat agent is a basic java agent with Probe Build Directives (PBD) files that attach to specific classes within the Tomcat JVM through the use of byte instrumentation.  I'm going to assume you are using the Tomcat out of the box IntroscopeAgent.profile, which uses the "tomcat-typical.pbl" (probe build list)

Right off the bat I don't see a spring.pbd and doing a text search across the pbd files, I don't see any "spring" so there is a good chance the automatic agent saw the context and thought it was interesting.  You should be able to search the autoprobe.log for "Spring" to see how the agent attached to the spring context.  Or you might have a pbd that I don't have in my Tomcat agent.

More than likely, the agent is using the super class of the specific and can not see the into the specific method that the trace stopped at.  You might be able to add a tracer class mapping, or method tracer to get into the specifics of the  "toDto"

Another possibility would be that the toDto context is calling outside of the agent context and the cross communication is not understood by the tomcat agent, and therefore, can not send a transaction ID across to the next context (another JVM, a service, a server) in which the APM agent on the other side could intercept the transaction id and join into the trace.

Hope this helps,

Billy