DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Posted May 16, 2019 04:50 AM

Hi All,

We have a set of vendor applications only using Cobol in customer environment . Is it possible to monitor these application via CA APM version 10.7 with SP3 Deployed.

I Found a KB article with explanation of cobol monitoring, But i am not a getting the clear picture from that.

Reference URL:-https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/monitoring-mainframe-applications-with-ca-apm/kb000070702.

I was wondering if someone could give me brief information on the cobol's monitoring capabilities via CA APM, So I can pass the same to customer.

Hallett_German

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 2.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2019 06:56 AM

Hello Amit,

APM cannot monitor COBOL applications directly. What that KB is saying is that using the EP Agent you could possibly write scripts that will monitor logs or interrogate an API published by the application to get some data about the application behaviour - that is the essence of what is possible

thanks

Mike

• 3.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Posted May 16, 2019 07:55 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks. As you mentioned we have write some scripts. Are you taking about Plugins under the EP Agents or it will be a  separate piece of code ??

All applications are vendor product, The application team doesn't have much idea them.

How much effort will be required for writing those scripts and the dependency at vendor application team?   

Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 4.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2019 08:10 AM

Hi Amit,

Yes the scripts would be plugins.

As for the effort required that is an impossible question to answer, far too many variables but knowledge of the applications would be essentail and so you will need to get that from somewhere. I suggest you approach this by first determining what information is required to be extracted and then find out how that can be obtained from the application - then you can start to see how that can be put into a plugin.

thanks

Mike

• 5.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Posted May 16, 2019 08:50 AM

Oke Mike,

We will first try to determine what information is required to be extracted with app team.

Meanwhile if possible can you share some set of plugins ??  

Regards

Amit Singh Bisht

• 6.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2019 08:56 AM

Dear Amit:

There are example plugins included with EP Agent already.

See Sample EPAgent Plug-in Extensions - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hal 

• 7.  Re: Cobol Monitoring Via CA APM

Posted May 20, 2019 03:59 AM

Hi Hallett,

Thanks.

Regards

Amit Singh Bisht