DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?

Posted Apr 18, 2018 05:14 PM

Is there a way of getting NAS information using SystemEDGE?  Is there an add-on that needs to be installed or configurations to the agent config?  Is there maybe an integration we need to use between Spectrum and the EMC system?

I've been asked if we can provide monitoring (alarms) and metrics (reports) on NAS from an EMC Isilon system.  We're looking to provide information to the users about how much has been assigned, and how much is being used.  I think this can be done in UIM, but that isn't really an option right now.  Hoping to provide this request with Spectrum, eHealth, SystemEDGE and/or Performance Center.  Those are the tools I've got to work with.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 19, 2018 03:00 AM

i do not think systemedge has an aim (application insight module) for emc storage.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:20 AM

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 19, 2018 03:41 AM

If your manager/NAS is providing SNMP access, you can try to certify it as a device in PM. As per SPECTRUM, you can certify there also, but it will be more oriented to providing status and trap mapping. 

Another option would be to create an extension for SysEDGE that would present data from NAS manager in SNMP, so you would then have to certify the SysEDGE agent with custom branch in both PM/SPECTRUM. It's not so straight forward, it's time consuming, but it will work for sure. The important thing here is how much information you're trying to get from the NAS/manager and if there are any ways of talking with the NAS/manager using any type of API available (CLI, REST, so on).

You can try to have a look at the EMC probe in UIM to see how it's built and how is reading the information from the NAS/manager and use that in your custom extension for SysEDGE. 

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?

Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:21 AM

Thanks for the information.  We'll look into this.

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to monitor NAS with SystemEDGE?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 19, 2018 08:32 AM

According to this ( SNMP monitoring ) the Isilon has a MIB and supports traps.  That's probably your best bet.