DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Launch Tomcat from Tibco IProcess on AIX

Posted Jul 03, 2018 04:30 PM

When I try to launch an updated Tom cat agent 10.7, I'm getting this Exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: (com/wily/introscope/api/instrument/JavaAgent) bad major version at offset=6
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:267)
            at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:151)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:602)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$400(URLClassLoader.java:126)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$ClassFinder.run(URLClassLoader.java:1057)
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:414)
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:494)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:651)
            at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:349)
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:617)
            at sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(InstrumentationImpl.java:152)

Fatal error: processing of -javaagent failed

So by looking at the documentation from the CA APM 10.7 we have to change the catalina.sh with the particular option:
    -javaagent:<PathToAgentJar> -DagentProfile=<PathToAgentProfile>
    So i change it here and still got the same exception, or it launches but no metrics are shown in the Introscope
    CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS $JPDA_OPTS"

What is the difference on changing the catalina.sh and changing on the tomcat conf file? When launching the JVM on this agent 10.7 which file it reads?
    CONFIGURATION FILE:(...)Tomcat/conf/instance.conf
    " java version "1.7.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pap6470sr10fp15-20171116_01(SR10 FP15))
    IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.7.0 AIX ppc64-64 Compressed References 20171011_366933 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
    J9VM - R26_Java726_SR10_20171011_1726_B366933
    JIT  - r11_20171011_366933
    GC   - R26_Java726_SR10_20171011_1726_B366933_CMPRSS
    J9CL - 20171011_366933)
    JCL - 20171109_01 based on Oracle jdk7u161-b13 "
    Can someone guide me to updating this tomcat agent? Doc is a bit misleading.
    Thanks

• 2.  Re: Launch Tomcat from Tibco IProcess on AIX
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2018 06:58 PM

Hi Tiago,

"java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError" implies a Java versioning compatibility problem e.g. this KB for JRE 1.6

Agent running an unsupported Java release produces - CA Knowledge 

According to our Product Compatibility Matrix no version of Tomcat is officially supported with an IBM (J9) JVM . Tomcat versions 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, 9.x are supported for Oracle JRE 1.7 & 1.8 only:

https://pcm.ca.com/dyntbl.php?mod=pclink&hdrsort=lnk_cm_app_ver_name&hdrsortdir=Down&search_agent=checked&solution=grp-A… 

However the 10.7 documentation has been updated to advise that with any IBM (J9) JVM  the AgentNoRedefNoRetrans.jar and a modified profile should be used. Here is the relevant page for Apache with IBM J9: Apache Tomcat - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

So if you are currently using the Agent.jar please try above steps instead.

(This KB covers a similar topic: When running an IBM JVM, the APM documentation rec - CA Knowledge)

If you still have no success the best plan would be to create a support case so we can diagnose in more detail.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Launch Tomcat from Tibco IProcess on AIX

Posted Jul 04, 2018 05:05 AM

Thanks for your help Lynn :-) I'm just wondering whether I should change catalina.sh startup script or the instance.conf file with that options. Is the same? The both files are called on startup?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Launch Tomcat from Tibco IProcess on AIX

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 04, 2018 06:31 PM

Hi Tiago,

I am not familiar with instance.conf but maybe it is related to some multi-instance configuration of Tomcat under the same installation?

For a standard Tomcat installation the catalina.sh script is normally the place to modify java startup options to include the agent properties.

The Tibo iProcess documentation I found here also refers to catalina.sh when modifying java properties:

https://docs.tibco.com/pub/ip-wksp-brwsr/11.6.0/doc/ip-wksp-brwsr/pdf/TIB_ip-wksp-brwsr_11.6_installation.pdf 

So I would use that.

Regards,

Lynn