DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Agent Metrics -- Upper Threshold Limit?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Agent Metrics -- Upper Threshold Limit?

Posted 02-26-2018 04:05 PM

Hi There,

Is there any upper threshold for the number of metrics an agent can collect ?

I see an issue with one of my collectors which has 90% java memory utilized all the time, I'm wondering if I am collecting far too many metrics than recommended.

Any thoughts around this would be extremely helpful, Thank you.

Regards,

Manoj

• 2.  Re: metrics
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 02-26-2018 04:28 PM

EMs should be set to reserve the entire heap that it is configured for, meaning the min/max setting should be the same for performance reasons.

Expanding and contracting the heap is inefficient for tools such as APM and its better for it to grab it all at initialization.

• 3.  Re: metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 02-26-2018 04:30 PM

Now, if you have followed best practices and set the heap properly, and you're still seeing utilization over 75%, then there's a problem.

1. Have you set your heap too small for the number of metrics and agents in your cluster?
    2. Are you collecting too many metrics?

• 4.  Re: metrics

Posted 02-26-2018 04:34 PM

Thanks Davis, I don't have any other processes sharing the EM's heap, so I believe that I'm good in that regard.

My question back to you is, how am I supposed to recognize that my heap is smaller for the number of metrics and agents in my cluster ?

Is there a formula to derive that equations? 

• 5.  Re: metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 02-26-2018 04:38 PM

Check out the Sizing and Performance Guide in the wiki. It will help you with that.

• 6.  Re: metrics

Posted 02-26-2018 04:41 PM

Yes, it did help, Thank you.

For anyone who is looking for the link:

CA APM Sizing Recommendations - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 7.  Re: metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 02-26-2018 04:49 PM

Awesome.

If the future, I may post an update blog about sizing best practices. We did a session as CA World last year about this and we'll soon have some updated numbers to provide concerning G1GC and APM 10.7.

• 8.  Re: metrics

Posted 02-26-2018 04:51 PM

That sounds interesting, Thank you

• 9.  Re: metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 02-26-2018 04:42 PM

Also, what version of APM are you using?

• 10.  Re: metrics

Posted 02-26-2018 04:45 PM

APM Team Center