DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Proxy Forwarding in web.config

Posted Aug 22, 2017 10:58 PM

Hi,

I am monitoring a .NET app server using 10.5.2 agent

I have a requirement to monitor a small portion of an .NET application where web.confg just has forwarding the URL to another backend server.

I have an app pool and in that there are some virtual directories.

Eg: \SubApp1, \SubApp2 etc.

When the request comes from webserver to \SubApp1 in app server, it forwards the call to another backend server and gets the reply and send it back. Web.config of SubApp1 has just this URL forwarding section.

When my agent is up, i can see agent like SubApp1 and SubApp2 etc but there is no application data related nodes under that. The SubApp which servers as main app shows OOB metrics.

Can we monitor such proxy calls?

Geethu

• 2.  Re: Proxy Forwarding in web.config

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2017 08:14 AM

Dear APM Admins/Partners:

Can you help Geethu with his questions based on your knowledge/experiences? Thank you in advance!

CA Staff: Please wait until 11:30 a.m. Eastern onward to respond

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Proxy Forwarding in web.config

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2017 11:22 AM

Dear Geethu:

I posted your question internally. If you do not hear back by the time you read this, please open a case. If you do that, it would be helpful for others if you posted teh resolution or anything else you discovered

Thanks for your Community participation! 

Ha German

• 4.  Re: Proxy Forwarding in web.config

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2017 01:39 PM

Hi Geethu:

I asked internally and could not get a definitive answer. It looks like we do not monitor the forwarding capability of the .Net agent. 

Only other possibility is the webserver agent but that only gathers IIS performance metrics (https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-5/en/extending/web-server-monitoring/ca-apm-for-web-servers-metrics#CAAPMforWebServersMetrics-IISperformancemetrics) but not on an app, page or path level. (It is believed.)

Hope this helps

Hal German

• 5.  Re: Proxy Forwarding in web.config

Posted Aug 24, 2017 09:11 PM

Thanks Hal

• 6.  Re: Proxy Forwarding in web.config
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2017 10:48 PM

Hi Hal.

I got reply from Support:

"it is possible to customize the .NET agent tracings to monitor MS URL Rewrite Module, especially if it is using .NET Framework in its implementation.

Having said that, this will be a customization effort where one will need to first understand the actual architecture, and try to create custom tracers specific for the classes/methods used in its implementation."

Geethu