DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Limit on Number of Agents per Collector

Posted Nov 28, 2016 01:54 PM

I was looking through the Collector logs in our Test environment and I saw this message:

11/28/16 01:42:49.016 PM EST [INFO] [PO:main Mailman 6] [Manager] Reporting Clamp hit for MaxAgentConnections limit to MOM

Is there a reason why there is a limit of 400 agents per Collector? I thought the key issue was the number of metrics per Collector not the number of agents.

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Limit on Number of Agents per Collector

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:35 PM

Hi,

Please refer the guide:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-3/en/administrating/properties-files-reference/apm-events-thresholds-config-xml

Property: " introscope.enterprisemanager.agent.connection.limit"

-Yanna

• 3.  Re: Limit on Number of Agents per Collector

Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:43 PM

I created a case and will work through that - 00615252 

• 4.  Re: Limit on Number of Agents per Collector
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:39 PM

Hi Roger,

I see you opened a case of which Keith has.  In short, the reason for the # of agents clamp is you could have thousands of agents each reporting only 500 metrics connect to one EM.  This would drain the resources on the EM as the EM would have to continuously talk to all agents to receive metrics as well as communicate via ping to see if they're still alive.  Basically picture Walmart on Black Friday wherein the store is the EM and the customers pouring in the doors are the agents.  Too many and the doors will break, and the whole store will be overwhelmed to the point of collapse.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 5.  Re: Limit on Number of Agents per Collector

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:49 PM

Hi Roger:

Since a case is opened, I marked as Answered. Matt's response explained the why of what you are seeing. Please post your case results here so others may learn from your progress!

Thanks

Hal German