DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Posted Feb 22, 2016 04:49 PM

Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading our APM monitoring for MQ Agents from APM 9.1 to APM 10.1. Everything has transferred over very nicely except enqueue and dequeue counts. I noticed this note in the APM 10.1 MQMonitor.properties file: # Note: To get enqueue count and dequeue count, the user need to have change permission on queues, as it is required for using 'Reset Queue Statistics'.

Does anyone know if this was actually changed from Version 9.1.1.0 to version 10.1.0.15? Or was the note just added as an FYI to the properties file?

Thank you,

Cathy Wentworth

• 2.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2016 05:56 PM

Hi Cathy,

I think it may be related to the change in MQ version support - does your upgrade also included a MQ version upgrade?

From what I remember you now need to add "+chg" priv to get the enqueue/dequeue metrics.

I will do some more digging & get back to you

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 01:29 AM

Hi Cathy,

Looks like this behaviour should not be related to a change in agent or MQ version.

In earlier versions we inadvertently had not documented the '+chg' requirement for enqueue/dequeue.

The 9.1.1 agent would have still needed '+chg" to be able to reset queue statistics & we had other 9.1.x customers report problems when it was not set.

So I would say you must have had it set for the agent user if enqueue/dequeue was previously working OK in 9.1.1

Is 10.1 MQMonitor agent running under different user/different environment?

Hope this helps

Lynn

• 4.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 03:23 AM

Hi Cathy,

In addition to what Lynn pointed out we did change where the enqueue/dequeue metrics were collected. In 9.1 these were included in the 'minimum' set, but if customers were able / wanted to set the permissions that Lynn described errors then would be reported. e.g.

AMQ8077: Entity 'mymquser' has insufficient authority to access object

'AMQ.MQEXPLORER.464657330'.

We have now removed those counters from the 'minimum' set since 9.5.3 so if you currently use the 'minimum' setting but want enqueue / dequeue you will need to switch to 'recommended' or create a custom set.

thanks

Mike

• 5.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 07:57 AM

Hi Cathy:

Please let us know if there are additional questions or the answers provided are sufficient

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Posted Feb 23, 2016 12:26 PM

The answers were helpful - thank you Mike and Lynn. I did change the switch for queue monitoring to QM@hostname.monitor.queue=recommended (previously was minimum) and I can now see some numbers in the Enqueue Count and Dequeue Count but they don't seem to match exactly with the old environment. Is monitor.queue the only parameter that I need to change?

Thanks,

Cathy

• 7.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2016 05:27 PM

Hi Cathy,

Here is the link to the wiki for the 10.1 Queue Metrics Reference where enqueue/dequeue metrics are described a few pages down under the "Status Metrics": Metrics Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Per what Mike pointed out all enqueue/dequeue metrics should now be covered by Monitoring Level R(ecommended).

When you say there is a mismatch do you mean that not as many enqueue/dequeue metric types are visible as in 9.1.1 or is it the actual counts are lower than you would expect?

The best option is to probably compare your 9.1.1 & 10.1 properties files for any other differences aside from the change to recommended for queue metrics or upload them here if you want us to look in more detail.

You can also check the agent log file for any MQ errors

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Lynn

• 8.  Re: Was there an access change for enqueue and dequeue counts in MQ Monitor 10.1?

Posted Feb 24, 2016 08:44 AM

Thanks Lynn for the quick response. I think the differences might be because in the old 9.1.1 environment we had 0 for the enqueue and dequeue counts. Since nothing has gone through those queues since I enabled the metric in 10.1 there is no count to show yet. I believe everything is good at this point.

Again – thanks to all for the responses.

Cathy Wentworth