DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Posted Oct 25, 2017 01:57 PM

Hello all folks,

in general we disabled the Team Center in the large environments for performance purpose in the past. Now, I try to use the SQL APM Server to get access to the SmartStore data, but the logon doesn't work, the APM SQL Server use a Team Center API to create temporary token (I think, see collected debug data fro the APM SQL Server below).

Any idea how to enable the security/token API without enabling the whole Team Center (I can't get access to a database).

Thanks for any suggestion,

with regards,

Lutz

Appendage:

I got the following debug data.

10/25/17 02:53:52.312 PM CEST [TRACE] [NIO1] [APMSQLServer] endpoint url :http://em1.intern:8081/apm/appmap/private/token/temporaryToken
    10/25/17 02:53:52.757 PM CEST [TRACE] [NIO1] [APMSQLServer] endpoint url :http://em1.intern:8081/apm/appmap/private/apmData/schema
    10/25/17 02:53:52.768 PM CEST [INFO] [NIO1] [APMSqlSecurityHelper] Invalid username/token :admin, Http Response :404,Not Found

• 2.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2017 02:27 PM

Hi all:

I would like APM Admins/customers and CA Partners to first talk if they have done something as Lutz has suggested

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:55 PM

Hello Hellett German,

this is the Problem, I have done this.

The answer, there is no dependency between the used database and the APM SQL Server and the database is not necessary.

Maybe there is no explicit dependency, but an implicit one.

The APM SQL Server does not need the database and retrieve data from the SmartStore, but the APM SQL Server use functions are available with the Team Center only. And the Team Center Need a database.

But I can't enable the Team Center on all large Environments and I'm not interresting in doing this.

Bye, Lutz

• 4.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:41 PM

Dear Lutz:

I am asking the internal distribution list if anyone can validate your statement above. No guarantees I will get an answer. But have placed in in the right places to make people aware.

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Posted Oct 25, 2017 06:23 PM

I have configure APM SQL Server few month ago but with Team Center enabled.

• 6.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:45 PM

Hello junwah,

the APM SQL Server is working well on all systems where the Team Center is enabled, but on these Systems only.

Bye, Lutz

• 7.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:56 PM

Hi Lutz,

What version of APM are you using?  From the 10.5 doc, you don't have to supply a token

Connect to CA APMSQL - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Supply a working CA APM username and password (the same you use to login to CA APM), or a valid token for username (you can get this token from a CA APM administrator) with no password.

If you configured user accounts by file or with an LDAP connection, supply a valid username/password combination identical to what you use to login to CA  APM.
    If you want to use the token, which is convenient for scripts, you can follow the instructions to generate a permanent token in the Team Center user interface. For more information, see APM REST API.

Matt

• 8.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Posted Oct 27, 2017 08:54 AM

Hello musma03,

I use APM 10.5.1 today.

You are right, the APM SQL Server use a username and a password only. But the APM SQL Server verify the data via a call to "http://em1.intern:8081/apm/appmap/private/token/temporaryToken". I use LDAP to store/handle the usernames and passwords and do some testing based on LDAP and file accounts.

Lutz

p.s.

I find a Tech-Doc TEC1672515 "Creating a temporary APM Team Center API token" with some additional information, now.

• 9.  Re: How to use the SQL APM Server without enabling the Team Center

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2017 11:38 AM

Hi Lutz,

That is a good find.  Please let us know if that KD helped you achieve the login without using Team Center.

Thanks,
    Matt