DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 11, 2016 06:38 PM

Hello,

We are testing a custom pbd for one of our applications and are unable to see the metrics in the investigator tree. There are no errors in the Autoprobe log and the Introscope agent logs. When we do a transaction trace after adding the custom pbd we do see the custom methods listed in the trace. But we don't see the same in the investigator tree.  We changed our pbd to something simple for testing purposes and still have the same issue. Can you please help identify what we are missing? Below is our simple test version of the custom pbd.

TurnOn: Tools

SetFlag: Tools

IdentifyMatchingClassesAs: com.ibm.defaultapplication.*  Tools

TraceComplexMethodsIfFlagged: Tools BlamePointTracer "ToolsTest|{classname}|{method}"

#TraceAllMethodsOfClass: Tools BlamePointTracer "ToolsTest2|{classname}|{method}"

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 11, 2016 08:36 PM

Hi,

Did you take a look at AutoProbe log? check the latest lines, to see if there is an Error when parsing your pbd. If there is not, pbd is fine.

Then you have to consider 2 things:

1. Are the classes being instantiated? If not, Class loader never runs, so Introscope will never know they exists. Once there is an object created of any of those Classes, Introscope will show it.
    2. Is your agent Clamped? If so, no new metrics will come to Introscope Investigator tree. So you'll need to clear the clamp and then new metrics will appear.

Regards,

Roger

• 3.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 12, 2016 11:27 AM

Roger,

I don't see an error parsing the pbd. Here are the lines from the AutoProbe logs that I believe show that the pbd is being processed( Please correct me if I am wrong)

Using directives specified in /app/WAS8/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/wily/core/config/TestCustomPBD.pbd

Starting file dump for /app/WAS8/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/wily/core/config/TestCustomPBD.pbd

> TurnOn: Tools

> SetFlag: Tools

>

> IdentifyMatchingClassesAs: com.ibm.defaultapplication.*  Tools

> #TraceComplexMethodsIfFlagged: Tools BlamePointTracer "ToolsTest|{classname}|{method}"

>

> #TraceOneMethodOfClass: com.ibm.defaultapplication._Increment_Stub getTheValue BlamedMethodTimer "ToolsEngg|Increment_Stub|getTheValue:Average Method Invocation Time (ms)"

> TraceOneMethodOfClass: com.ibm.defaultapplication.IncrementBean getTheValue BlamedMethodTimerHC "ToolsEngg|Increment_Stub|getTheValue:Average Method Invocation Time (ms)"

Finished file dump for /app/IBM/AppServer/wily/core/config/TestCustomPBD.pbd

and then further down in the logs  I see the lines like the ones  below at various points in the logs. The only one that I don't know how to interpret is the one marked with *** below.

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/ConcreteIncrement_501bb55e

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/IncrementBean

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/_EJSRemoteCMPIncrementHome_501bb55e_Tie

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/_EJSRemoteCMPIncrementHome_501bb55e_Stub

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/websphere_deploy/DERBY_V100_1/IncrementBeanFunctionSet_501bb55e

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/_EJSRemoteCMPIncrement_501bb55e_Tie

Processing class com/ibm/defaultapplication/_Increment_Stub---> How do I interpret these results******** it looks like the  below is collected under a different tracer, is that right?

_ids:0                             inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

_ids:0                             inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

_ids:0                             inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

getEJBHome:0                       inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

getEJBHome:0                       inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

getEJBHome:0                       inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

getHandle:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

getHandle:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

getHandle:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

getPrimaryKey:0                    inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

getPrimaryKey:0                    inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

getPrimaryKey:0                    inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

getTheValue:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

getTheValue:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

getTheValue:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

increment:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

increment:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

increment:0                        inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

isIdentical:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

isIdentical:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

isIdentical:0                      inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

remove:0                           inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/CrossProcessCorrelationEjbTracer

remove:0                           inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/appmap/agent/trace/hc2/AppMapMarkerTracer

remove:0                           inserted method tracer object allocation: com/wily/introscope/agent/trace/hc2/BackendTracer

To answer your 2nd question- There is no clamping on the agent or in the EM ( e.g. historical metrics etc).

• 4.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 12, 2016 02:26 PM

Hi,

In the log I see that

TraceComplexMethodsIfFlagged line is commented. It should be active.

Regards,

Roger

El 12/4/2016, a las 12:25, Samira.R <communityadmin@communities-mail.ca.com> escribió:

TraceComplexMethodsIfFlagged

• 5.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 12, 2016 02:54 PM

yes, Sorry we were trying out different tracers and directives, the line was commented out but the below was inserted and was in use. I didn't know the file had changed by the time I got to the logs:

TraceOneMethodOfClass: com.ibm.defaultapplication.IncrementBean getTheValue BlamedMethodTimerHC "ToolsEngg|Increment_Stub|getTheValue:Average Method Invocation Time (ms)"

I will enable the other option back and share the results in the log.

Thanks,

Samira

• 6.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2016 07:20 AM

Hi Samira:   I agree with Roger. Sometimes it isn't what gets an error in the autoprobe logs. It is what gets processed. What do you see about your classes/tracers in the Autoprobe log? Thanks Hal German

• 7.  Re: Custom pbd not showing in investigator tree

Posted Apr 12, 2016 11:29 AM

Hello Hal,

Thank you for your reply. I added more details in my response to Roger above What am I missing?  Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks!