DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  WebLogic Version metrics

Posted Jan 13, 2017 02:11 PM

By default, OOB agent will provide the tomcat server version information and we are trying to get the same for WebLogic.

I did some research on the method and class which can report the WebLogic version, but struck with the tracer type.
    It’s a string and looking for a tracer which can provide the print the string in the investigator. For tomcat CA wrote a OOB tracer(TomcatServerInfo)

Tomcat: (CA provided)
    #########################
    # Server Info Support
    # ===================

IdentifyClassAs: org.apache.catalina.util.ServerInfo ServerInfoTracing
    IdentifyInheritedAs: org.apache.catalina.util.ServerInfo ServerInfoTracing

TraceOneMethodWithParametersIfFlagged: ServerInfoTracing getServerInfo()Ljava/lang/String; TomcatServerInfo "Tomcat:Server Information"

Weblogic related information:

Class: weblogic.version
    Method: getVersions()

Can you suggest me tracer which can report the string in the investigator?

• 2.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2017 02:54 PM

Just as in tomcat you have the org.apache.catalina.util.ServerInfo path to ServerInfo.  So you would need something similar.  From what I could find on the internet, it appears the class weblogic.version provides the info.  So you would need the path to weblogic.version.

Perhaps weblogic.version is the full path.  If it is then you would use it similar to tomcat above using identify class as with weblogic.version.

Adding Hiko_Davis for additional input.

• 3.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2017 02:58 PM

If you cannot get it from JMX, then you'd need another method as Matt has suggested. I can't get on my laptop at the moment to check but which version (s) of WLS are we talking about?

• 4.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2017 02:58 PM

Hi Nikhil:

Please let us know if Matt's response was helpful and you were able to find the path to the class weblogic.version to retrieve this information?

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Posted Jan 13, 2017 06:15 PM

Hello,

yes, thank you i found that information as well, but i am looking for a tracer which can print the string metrics in the investigator.

For the tomcat CA has TomcatServerInfo tracer.

example o/p for the tomcat investigator metric:

******|Tomcat|agent|Tomcat:Server Information: Pivotal tc Runtime 3.1.5.RELEASE/8.0.36.A.RELEASE

I am looking similar o/p which can provide the weblogic version.

• 6.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2017 10:19 PM

According to Oracle, from version 12 going forward, the only way to see the version and PSU is via opatch: https://community.oracle.com/thread/3903335

• 7.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 09:00 AM

Hi Nikhil:

Seeing a good lead provided from Hiko and having no follow=up responses were submitted, I am going to mark as answered. However, you are welcome to ask additional questions as needed.

Thanks

Hal German

• 8.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Posted Jan 17, 2017 10:55 AM

Thank you and I am aware of how to get the WebLogic version form the command line, but here I am looking how to print that metrics in the investigator java agent metrics though PBD.

We use the epagent plugin, but that’s not our route. As per the WebLogic forums we can get the version info through Class: weblogic.version and Method: getVersions() and I need a tracer which can print the srting in the investigator.

Please check - https://community.oracle.com/thread/1032157

• 9.  Re: WebLogic Version metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2017 12:31 PM

The only agent that still supports WLS 9.x is APM 9.5. Also, nothing in that forum thread talks about anything newer than WLS 9.2/9.3. As I previously stated, 'opatch' is the only official way to get that information for anything 12c and newer. I did not seeing anything for 11g yet.

You will need to request CA Services engagement to get a tracer; we don't just provide them unless it's something we had worked on a previous engagement and it's applicable to other customers. PBDs we can provide some guidance on over on the Dev community (http://bit.ly/caapm_dev).