DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Posted Apr 12, 2016 02:43 AM

We have been creating virtual agents for CEM metrics for various customers/domain using the following :

1. Create Domain

<domain name="Domain_X" description="Domain_X">

<agent mapping="(.*)(abcde)(1|2))(.*)"/>

</domain>

2. Create Virtual Agent

<agent-cluster name="Test_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="Domain_X">

<agent-specifier>.*\|CEM\|TestBusApp</agent-specifier>

<metric-specifier>Business Service\|TestBusService\|Business Transactions\|.*</metric-specifier>

</agent-cluster>

This suits my needs in most scenarios - now i want to try this for a Domain that has no agents and only uses CEM and Cloud Monitor - so i only want to see these metrics in my Domain.

I have tried the following :

1.Create agentless domain.

<domain name="CloudMonitor_Test" description="Test Adding Cloud Monitor to Domain">

<agent mapping=""/>

</domain>

2.Create Virtual Agent :

<agent-cluster name="Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="CloudMonitor_Test">

<agent-specifier>.*\|APMCloudMonitor\|APMCloudMonitorAgent</agent-specifier>

<metric-specifier>APM Cloud Monitor\|Cloud Scripts\|.*</metric-specifier>

</agent-cluster>

Firstly i tried without an agent mapping which errored so obviously required.

I now see an error :

[ERROR] [TimerBean] [Manager] Configuration error in agent cluster Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent, specified domain SuperDomain does not exist

Any input as to whats happening - and whether this is possible ?

• 2.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2016 10:39 AM

Hi Andy,

That error is coming from the fact that in agentclusters.xml, the cluster named Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent, the tgtDomain associated with that, CloudMonitor_Test, is not defined in Domains.xml.

Please check your domains.xml and remember that domains.xml must be the same in all em's in a cluster.

Regards,
    Matt

• 3.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Posted Apr 12, 2016 08:01 PM

Hi Matt thanks for your input.

In step 1. i have created a domain called - "CloudMonitor_Test" - as shown above ?

We are using APM 10.1 in this environment so the domains.xml is dynamic in our clustered env.

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2016 09:00 AM

Hi Andy,

I ran the same test in my environment, the only thing I did different was I manually put it in domains.xml as that is what I am so used to doing.  So it is working for me.

The error that you see, is that coming from MOM?

I'm going to try the dynamic domains and see what happens.

Can you upload your domains.xml and agentclusters.xml from MOM to here?

Thanks,Matt

• 5.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Posted Apr 13, 2016 09:13 AM

Hi Matt,

Yes Errors in the MOM - the only place i made changes.

Unfortunately i can't upload the domains and agent clusters here - it would have to be in a case - and i couldn't do that now as i'm not in the office (australia time)

I confirmed the domains.xml had been pushed out to all collectors showing my changes.

Did you use the same agent mapping as i tried shown above ? <agent mapping=""/>

Be interested in your findings and if different to mine could you post what you did in your successful test ?

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 13, 2016 03:59 PM

Hi Andy,

Here are my settings.  I have been changing the tgtDomain to try to break it, but I cannot replicate your error.  There were two ways that I could replicate your error.

1. Typo in tgtDomain versus domain name, i.e. tgtDomain="CA" and domain name="CAASM"

2. Case sensitivity.  tgtDomain="CA" and domain name="ca"

I can get it working by doing the following:

1. Setting MOM domains.xml and MOM agentclusters.xml to the below and let MOM dynamically send the domains over.

2. Setting MOM and all Collectors domains.xml manually and set MOM agentclusters.xml to the below.

3. Using #1 or #2 above and stopping all EM's in the cluster, make the changes and start Collectors first and after they come up, start MOM

4. Using #1 or #2 above and stopping all EM's in the cluster, make the changes and start MOM first and after that comes up, start the Collectors

My domains.xml

<domain name="CA" description="Test Adding Cloud Monitor to Domain">

<agent mapping=""/>

</domain>

My agentclusters.xml

<agent-cluster name="Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="CA">

<agent-specifier>.*\|APMCloudMonitor\|APMCloudMonitorAgent</agent-specifier>

<metric-specifier>APM Cloud Monitor\|CNN\|.*</metric-specifier>

</agent-cluster>

So it is hard to say what is causing your issue.  What I would do is this.

1. Verify that your 'tgtDomain' and 'domain name' are the same including case.  The parser is case sensitive.

2. If everything looks good, then enable DEBUG in MOM, restart MOM and let that error happen again.  Then open an issue with CA Support and upload the MOM debug, domains.xml and agentclusters.xml

Thanks,
    Matt

• 7.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2016 03:22 AM

Hi Matt,

Andy raised a case with his xml files & I tested when using dynamic domains on a Standalone EM

(introscope.enterprisemanager.domainsconfiguration.dynamicupdate.enable=true)

• I was able to recreate the TimerBean ERROR if the file changes were made directly one after the other.
    • Then in a clean test after I changed the domains.xml first and verified the changes had taken before update of the agentclusters.xml file, the latter was processed as expected and did not cause any errors.
    • So it seems to be purely a timing problem when both files are updated at the same time because I noticed that the agentclusters.xml change is processed very quickly (maybe by chance from EM regular check?) while the domains.xml is controlled by the detection interval parameter which can be a minimum of 1 minute.

(introscope.enterprisemanager.domainsconfiguration.dynamicupdate.detectioninterval=1).

Once Andy's colleague verifies succcess I will put out a KB

Regards,

Lynn

P.S.

Aside: In our current 10.x wikis it is saying that any agentclusters.xml changes needs a restart but older doc versions say the opposite, so will also get this confirmed and wikis updated.

• 8.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2016 03:34 AM

... and even if the ERROR has occurred once when the agentclusters.xml file is updated again after the domain.xml changes have taken the 2nd attempt will be successful

• 9.  Re: Create domain containing only virtual agent with CEM and Cloud Monitor Metrics

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2016 11:29 AM

Hi Andy: Please let us know if Martt's response answers the question Thanks Hal German