We have been creating virtual agents for CEM metrics for various customers/domain using the following :
1. Create Domain
<domain name="Domain_X" description="Domain_X">
2. Create Virtual Agent
<agent-cluster name="Test_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="Domain_X">
<metric-specifier>Business Service\|TestBusService\|Business Transactions\|.*</metric-specifier>
This suits my needs in most scenarios - now i want to try this for a Domain that has no agents and only uses CEM and Cloud Monitor - so i only want to see these metrics in my Domain.
I have tried the following :
1.Create agentless domain.
<domain name="CloudMonitor_Test" description="Test Adding Cloud Monitor to Domain">
2.Create Virtual Agent :
<agent-cluster name="Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="CloudMonitor_Test">
<metric-specifier>APM Cloud Monitor\|Cloud Scripts\|.*</metric-specifier>
Firstly i tried without an agent mapping which errored so obviously required.
I now see an error :
[ERROR] [TimerBean] [Manager] Configuration error in agent cluster Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent, specified domain SuperDomain does not exist
Any input as to whats happening - and whether this is possible ?
That error is coming from the fact that in agentclusters.xml, the cluster named Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent, the tgtDomain associated with that, CloudMonitor_Test, is not defined in Domains.xml.
Please check your domains.xml and remember that domains.xml must be the same in all em's in a cluster.
Hi Matt thanks for your input.
In step 1. i have created a domain called - "CloudMonitor_Test" - as shown above ?
We are using APM 10.1 in this environment so the domains.xml is dynamic in our clustered env.
I ran the same test in my environment, the only thing I did different was I manually put it in domains.xml as that is what I am so used to doing. So it is working for me.
The error that you see, is that coming from MOM?
I'm going to try the dynamic domains and see what happens.
Can you upload your domains.xml and agentclusters.xml from MOM to here?
Yes Errors in the MOM - the only place i made changes.
Unfortunately i can't upload the domains and agent clusters here - it would have to be in a case - and i couldn't do that now as i'm not in the office (australia time)
I confirmed the domains.xml had been pushed out to all collectors showing my changes.
Did you use the same agent mapping as i tried shown above ? <agent mapping=""/>
Be interested in your findings and if different to mine could you post what you did in your successful test ?
Here are my settings. I have been changing the tgtDomain to try to break it, but I cannot replicate your error. There were two ways that I could replicate your error.
1. Typo in tgtDomain versus domain name, i.e. tgtDomain="CA" and domain name="CAASM"
2. Case sensitivity. tgtDomain="CA" and domain name="ca"
I can get it working by doing the following:
1. Setting MOM domains.xml and MOM agentclusters.xml to the below and let MOM dynamically send the domains over.
2. Setting MOM and all Collectors domains.xml manually and set MOM agentclusters.xml to the below.
3. Using #1 or #2 above and stopping all EM's in the cluster, make the changes and start Collectors first and after they come up, start MOM
4. Using #1 or #2 above and stopping all EM's in the cluster, make the changes and start MOM first and after that comes up, start the Collectors
<domain name="CA" description="Test Adding Cloud Monitor to Domain">
<agent-cluster name="Test_CloudMonitor_VirtualAgent" domain="SuperDomain" tgtDomain="CA">
<metric-specifier>APM Cloud Monitor\|CNN\|.*</metric-specifier>
So it is hard to say what is causing your issue. What I would do is this.
1. Verify that your 'tgtDomain' and 'domain name' are the same including case. The parser is case sensitive.
2. If everything looks good, then enable DEBUG in MOM, restart MOM and let that error happen again. Then open an issue with CA Support and upload the MOM debug, domains.xml and agentclusters.xml
Andy raised a case with his xml files & I tested when using dynamic domains on a Standalone EM
Once Andy's colleague verifies succcess I will put out a KB
Aside: In our current 10.x wikis it is saying that any agentclusters.xml changes needs a restart but older doc versions say the opposite, so will also get this confirmed and wikis updated.
... and even if the ERROR has occurred once when the agentclusters.xml file is updated again after the domain.xml changes have taken the 2nd attempt will be successful
Hi Andy: Please let us know if Martt's response answers the question Thanks Hal German