DX Application Performance Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to get all the errors logged and being alerted in an application or framework ?

• 1.  Is there a way to get all the errors logged and being alerted in an application or framework ?

Posted Dec 07, 2015 02:22 AM

Hi,

I got a requirement that any error in any application or particular framework should be alerted via wily. I have written pbds to get the information about some of the critical errors using the ErrorReporter metrics. But that is not enough. I know we can get all the live errors with the help of Live Error Viewer but we cannot set alerts on the same.

Is there a way to get all the errors logged and being alerted which could save the effort of logging into app server to check the error logs.

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to get all the errors logged and being alerted in an application or framework ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2015 11:04 AM

Guenter_Grossberger Lynn_Williams musma03 Hiko_Davis KulbirNijjer

Hi:

Including the right folks to get you an answer.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to get all the errors logged and being alerted in an application or framework ?

Posted Dec 13, 2015 01:14 PM

Hi pvpalval,

Out of box, you cannot create alerts based on "Error Details:" in Wily.

But since you mentioned that you have created metrics using custom PBD's, I would suggest you to bring specific types of errors [only generic classification is possible] by bringing them to specific custom node in the investigator, and then creating alerts on top of this.

To elaborate, you can direct in the PBD file for all HTTP error code error into some specific path such as  - "Host1|WebSphere|Agent1|Errors|HTTPError:Errors Per Interval".

And now you can set an alert where danger threshold for this you can put as 1, which will trigger the alert as soon as any HTTP error code is observed. Similarly you can categorize your SQL or null pointer exceptions into one.

To get an alert on specific type of error, you can do using EPAgent -Logreader and enable ERROR logging into your application logs. LogReader plugin will read strings at end of file, and would change counter from say 0 to 1, which you can use to trigger alerts,

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Vaibhav